“The SMART Hard Disk check has detected an imminent failure. To ensure no data loss, please backup the data immediately and run the hard disk test in system diagnostic. Hard Disk 1 SMART (301), want to continue press enter”
Irrespective of the fact, whether you are running Windows 10, Windows 8.1, or Windows 8, it is an unexpected error message indicating your hard disk drive (HDD) or the solid state drive (SSD) failure. You usually face it at the moment when you turn on your laptop or system.
When this arises, it clearly indicates two things. These are:
- Device is expecting a failure soon
- Device failure has taken place
But, the point is how to resolve it. However, before stepping ahead with the solution, let’s first have a quick overview of when does it happens and what are its causes.
When does hard drive show error code 301?
The error code 301 usually arises at the time system or laptop boot.
What are the causes of 301 hard drive error?
Several reasons may lead to this error. Striking ones are:
- SMART hard disk check Failure
- Broken IDE/SATA controller chip in the Motherboard
Well, whatever be the cause, you need to resolve it.
How to fix 301 hard drive error?
Solution 1: BIOS Menu
- Remove the hard drive
- Reconnect it
- Start the Windows System and keep pressing F10. (It lets you enter BIOS menu)
- Now, choose an option to run a test on the Hard Drive ( You can find it under Advanced or Diagnostic)
- Next, wait for test completion
If, you still see the message, try solution 2.
Solution 2: Run chkdsk
It might be possible that bad sectors, directory errors, cross-linked files, lost clusters, and more are causing it. In that case, you can use chkdsk to repair the same.
- Go to System Recovery Options
- Run chkdsk /f /r
- Choose Command Prompt to start disk repairing
- Insert Windows installation disc
- Restart the System
- Click the Start button followed by arrow next to the Lock button
- Now, choose the Language Settings. Click Next
- Click on the Repair option
- Choose the desired Operating System to Click Next
- Now, on the menu of System Recovery Options, select Command Prompt
- Type ‘Chkdsk /f /r X:( drive letter)’ AND Press Enter
- Now, system will Restart and prompt you to verify the disk, PRESS Y
- Lastly, close all the Applications and Restart the system
Note: When you run the chkdsk, there are chances of losing data so
take a backup of your files before running check disk.
If it also fails, try out solution 3.
Solution 3: Verify a Drive for Errors
It might be possible that physical issues or performance issues are causing it. In such case, you can check a drive.
- Click Start and click on Computer
- Select the drive and right-click on it
- Select Properties
- Next, click on Tools Tab
- Now, under Error-checking option, choose to Check Now ( You require Administrator Permission for it)
- Next, select Automatically fix file system errors (With this, you can fix all the files errors on the drive)
- Next, click on Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors (With this, you can resolve all the physical errors on the drive)
- Click Start.
If it also fails, don’t lose hope.
What then is the Solution?
It might be possible that even after practising all these methods, you still are facing this issue. In such case, contact a professional data recovery expert like Stellar Data Recovery.
It is because Stellar Data Recovery has more than 2 decades of experience in dealing with hard drive failure. Above all, we are acknowledged with CIO Choice 2017 Award for Best Data Recovery Services.
If we also go by statistics, then you will be amazed to see that every year, we securely and efficiently handled 35000+ Data Recovery Jobs. And, because of this only we have attained a wide clientele of almost 2 Million+ satisfied customer across 15 locations in India.
- Dedicated R & D team
- Risk-Free Recovery assurance
- Experienced Data Recovery Experts
- No Recovery, No Charge policy
- Certified Class 100 Clean Room Lab
Hard Drive is just like the heart of the computer. If it fails; as a consequence, the entire workflow will halt, and data will be at stake. Thus, early detection and early resolve using a right recovery approach is a viable option to avoid further aggravation.