Usage of the internet has made things easy for us but has exposed us to the threat of data security and privacy. You never know who’s watching you on the internet to steal your personal or confidential data. Here are a few tips to keep your data secured while using the internet:
इस पोस्ट को हिंदी में पढ़ने के लिए यहां क्लिक करें।
- Choose strong passwords: Passwords are like keys that must be kept secured so that no one else can use it to access your account. Name, Date of Birth, Anniversary dates, etc. are weak passwords. Use the combination of special characters, lower case, and numbers to generate a smart and strong password. This prevents hacking of your account.
*Change your passwords at regular intervals.
- Lock your devices: Lock devices like Smartphones, laptops, computers, etc. when not in use. Anyone can misuse your device in your absence.
- Beware of Freeware: Never download apps, music files, etc. it can be a dubious program designed to steal, corrupt, encrypt/lock, or delete your data.
- Keep your system updated: Always update the browser, Operating system, and Software to keep viruses at bay.
- Use Secure Websites: While doing online transaction, always check if the sites start with “https”. A majority of E-commerce sites and banking sites start with “https” and have additional features to ensure a safe online transaction.
- Use 2-Step Verification: 2-step verification is the second method of verification/authentication which you might have seen in daily lives. For example, you’re asked to enter OTP—the second method of verification—after you’ve authenticated with your CVV number—the first method of authentication. If you fail to do so, the transaction fails. You must enable this feature if you have an option to do so on any online account that you own.
- Use Antivirus: Use antivirus on your phones, laptops, and computers to avoid malware/virus attacks. Never compromise with security, always buy or download the best available Antivirus software.
- Beware of malicious Emails: A suspicious email can be identified by looking at the content of the email. It may have contents like a job offer letter, lottery, free gifts, etc. Don’t reply or click on any link contained in a suspicious email, as this might end you up sharing more details or getting malware attack. In the case of malware like CTB check out how to get rid of it.
- Optimize browser’s settings: Ensure that the browser’s security settings are set to the right level and warn you about potential risks while visiting suspicious websites.
- Protect your Personal Information: Never share your personal information like your credit card or debit card number, etc.
- Keep a check on your bank transactions: Keep an eye on your bank account for any unapproved transaction. Report any suspicious transaction to the bank to avoid damage.
- Wipe your internet activities: Your browser saves your browsing history, passwords, and other internet activities on the hard disk of your computer while you surf the internet. Of course, you can delete them by navigating to browser’s settings. But that’s not the actual deletion, as doing this deletes only the path of the data and so the OS couldn’t locate it. Actually, this deleted data still exists in the same location and can easily be recovered by using data recovery software. The only way to wipe it beyond the scope of recovery is to use BitRaser, a data erasure software which adheres to international standards for data erasure and issues you a certificate ensuring that the data has been deleted beyond the scope of recovery.
We at Stellar Data Recovery are dedicated to promote the safe usage of digital technology and to provide you the Data Care solutions whenever you’re in need.
Let’s know if the tips were helpful in the comment section. Follow the best practices while browsing the internet. Have secure browsing!