Summary: The error code 0146 is primarily associated with Dell laptops or PCs. This error may lead to the freezing of your Dell laptop or computer and stall the system applications for a long time. In this post, we’ve discussed the causes that may lead to such an error and the ways to fix the error.
Hard drive error code 2000-0146 in Dell laptops/computers indicates severe logical problems that could lead to hard drive failure. This error may occur due to corruption in the program files or malware infection. Sometimes, bad sectors on the drive also result in the error 0146.
As a result, the system frequently freezes and the system applications stop responding for a long period of time. It also leads to a system crash (blue screen of death) and causes several Windows-related problems. If the error is not resolved in time, it could lead to data loss from the hard drive and can affect the overall functioning of your laptop or computer.
You can get the following error messages:
इस पोस्ट को हिंदी में पढ़ने के लिए यहां क्लिक करें।
- Error Code 0146.
- Msg: Error Code 2000-0146
- Msg: Self Test log contains previous error(s).
DID YOU KNOW?
Disposing off your used devices without proper media sanitization can result in the breach of your intellectual property, financial reports, BI data, trade secrets, personal data, and PII. To protect your data privacy, use secure data eraser software to ensure proper media sanitization, while disposing off storage devices like hard drives, SSDs, memory cards, mobile devices, pen drives, etc.
Methods to Fix Hard Drive Error Code 0146?
We’ve mentioned below some possible fixes that can help you resolve the hard drive error code 0146.
1. Use an Antivirus or Anti-malware Software
A virus or a malware can corrupt the hard drive, causing the error 0146. You can install a trusted antivirus or update the existing one, and then run a full system scan to remove possible virus infection. If this doesn’t resolve the error, try the next method.
2. Run the Laptop/Computer in Safe Mode and Clean Boot
Booting the system in safe mode and cleaning the boot files can also help resolve the error code 0146. To do so, first remove all the attached devices from the system such as a printer, Wi-Fi adapter, modem, etc. and then follow these steps:
- Shut down your system.
- Restart your system and keep tapping the F8 key until you see the ‘Advanced Boot Options’ screen.
- Select Safe mode with Networking by using arrow keys. Then, click Enter.
- Press ‘Windows Key + R’. In the window that opens, type MSConfig and click OK.
- In the System Configuration Utility window, click the General tab and then click Selective Startup.
- Unselect the Load Startup items
- Click on the Services Check Hide all Microsoft services. Click the Disable all button.
- Restart the system and check if the error is resolved.
3. Run System File Checker (SFC) scan
At times, drive corruption or an incompatible file system leads to error 0146. You can run the System File Checker scan to repair corrupt or missing system files and registry files. To run SFC scan, follow these steps:
- Go to Start and type cmd. Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.
- Type SFC /Scannow to run the SFC scan.
- After scanning, restart your system.
If SFC scan can’t replace system files, it asks for Windows installation DVD or media to repair corrupt or damaged system files.
4. Change the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) Settings
Incorrect BIOS settings can severely affect the performance of your system. Check that the BIOS settings are correct. Restoring the BIOS settings to default can help you resolve the error 0146. Follow these steps:
- Restart the system and press ‘F2’ continuously as the system boots until you see BIOS settings.
- Select Reset to Default, Setup Defaults, or similar option in BIOS settings to reset.
5. Run Disk Cleanup
Disk Cleanup, a Windows utility program, reduces the number of unnecessary files on the hard disk and frees up disk space. It removes temporary files, empties the Recycle Bin, and removes unwanted system files that may be causing error 0146.
Here’s are steps to run Disk Cleanup:
- Go to Start, type Disk Cleanup. Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.
- Select the drive you want to clean and click
- Wait until Disk Cleanup scans your Drive(s).
- After scanning, select the Temporary files box and click
- Click the Delete Files
6. Run PSA Diagnostics
Dell laptops/computers come with pre-boot diagnostics (32-bit Diagnostics, PSA or ePSA). The newer systems have the Dell SupportAssist application that helps in diagnosing hardware problems. Here’s the procedure to run PSA Diagnostics:
- Power off the laptop (ensure that AC Adapter cable is plugged in).
- Power on the laptop and repeatedly tap <F12> key until the Dell logo appears.
- Wait till One Time Boot menu appears.
- Select the Diagnostics option and press Enter.
- PSA will start automatically. Follow the prompts to resolve the error.
7. Replace your Hard Drive
If error 0146 still persists, replace the hard disk drive of your Dell system with a new one. Ensure to back up the data from the old hard drive. It is advisable to seek help from an authorized data recovery service provider to recover data from your hard disk drive.
Additional Reading: How to Fix ATA/SATA hard drive not detected in BIOS?
The error 0146 in Dell laptops/computers can severely affect the functioning of your system. It’s comforting to know that the problem can easily be fixed. You can follow the methods mentioned in this post to fix the issue. However, if the issue isn’t fixed and the last resort is to replace the Hard disk drive, then take the help of a professional data recovery services provider such as Stellar.
Stellar Data Recovery, an ISO 9001 & ISO 27001 certified organization, is one of the most trusted data recovery service providers in India. With more than 25 years of data recovery experience, Stellar has carved a niche in the field of data recovery services and software. They can help you recover data from a corrupt, formatted, or damaged hard drive. Additionally, Stellar Data Recovery follows the ‘No Recovery No Charge* Policy’.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques: I am getting Error 2000-0146 on my Dell laptop. What does the error code mean?
Ans: This error is associated with Dell PCs and laptops. It freezes the PC and prevents software applications from running. It indicates logs of errors on the hard drive, which may result in the hard drive’s failure
Ques: What are the causes of Dell error code 0146?
Ans: The error may occur due to the following reasons:
- Bad sectors or fragments on the hard drive.
- SATA Mode (IDE or AHCI might be conflicting with the hard drive).
- BIOS error.
Physical damage to hard drive components.
Ques: How to fix Dell PC error code 2000-0146?
Ans: To fix the error code 2000-0146, you can try the following methods:
- Scan your system
- Run Disk Checkup
- Repair PC Registry
- Run PSA (Pre-Boot System Assessment) Diagnostics
- Reset BIOS Settings
- Restore PC in Safe Mode
- Perform a Clean Boot
Ques: I am unable to fix Dell error code 0146 from the above methods. What should I do now?
Ans: If the above methods do not resolve the error 0146, it indicates that your hard drive is damaged. In such a case, seek help from the device manufacturer. But before that recover the existing data on the hard drive with the help of an experienced data recovery services provider.