Summary: During the usage of a computer system over some time, users come across several hardware and software issues. One such problem is
“Hard Drive Error Code 0146”
This error is associated with hard drive’s read/write issue in Dell laptops and Pcs. It can cause frequent system freeze due to which system and software applications stop responding. This adversely affects the performance of your system. It also leads to a system crash (blue screen) and causes several Windows-related problems. Error code 2000-0146, if not taken seriously, leads to further damage to the system and results in data loss due to disk failure. Therefore, it’s essential to fix hard drive error code 0146 in the dell laptop immediately to avoid any data loss. You can get the following error:
- Error Code 0146.
- Msg: Error Code 2000-0146
- Msg: Self Test log contains previous error(s).
Stellar Remote Recovery Services
In continuation of our commitment to data care services and to ensure that data loss situations don’t affect you or your business, we have launched a cutting-edge Remote Data Recovery Service.
This service allows you to recover data over the Internet without getting your device physically touched by the experts, thus offering safe and contactless recovery. Our contactless remote data recovery service is available across Windows, Mac, and Linux systems.
Book Remote Session
What are the Methods to Fix Hard Drive Error Code 0146?
Several reasons can lead to error code 0146. However, we’ve mentioned some of the possible fixes for the error.
1. Use an Antivirus or Anti-malware Software
Your hard drive may be infected with a virus or a malware that is causing disk read/write errors on your hard drive. These errors can be repaired by using a good antivirus and anti-malware program. You can also use the Windows Defender program for this.
Run a full PC scan by any antivirus and when it’s finished, removes all viruses and malware to resolve error code 0146.
2. Boot into Safe Mode and Clean Boot
The error code 0146 can also be repaired by booting the system into safe mode and cleaning the boot files. You must remove all attached devices like Printer, Wi-Fi adapter, modem, etc. After detaching devices, follow these steps:
- Shut down your system.
- Press the power button to start your system and keep tapping the F8 key until you see the ‘Advanced Boot Options’ screen.
- Select Safe mode with Networking using arrow keys and Click Enter.
- Now press ‘Windows Key + R’ and type MSConfig and click ‘Ok.’
- In the System Configuration Utility window, click the General tab and then, click Selective Startup.
- Uncheck the ‘Load Startup items’ checkbox.
- After that click on the Services tab, check ‘Hide all Microsoft services,’ click the ‘Disable all’ button, and restart the system.
Hopefully, this fixes hard drive error code 0146 on your system.
3. Run an SFC Scan
Sometimes, corrupted or missing system files can cause severe hard drive issues like error code 0146. Running SFC scan helps you to fix this issue by repairing & replacing corrupt & missing system files and registry files. To run an SFC scan,
- Go to Start and type ‘cmd’ then press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.
- Type SFC /Scannow to run the SFC scan.
After scanning, restart your system. All corrupted files will be replaced after boot. If SFC scan can’t replace a system file, it asks for Windows installation DVD or media to repair corrupt or damaged system files.
4. Change BIOS Settings
Wrong BIOS settings can severely affect the performance of your system. Therefore, it’s essential to check that there is no change in the system’s BIOS settings. One way is to reset the BIOS settings to default, which can probably fix your hard drive issue. To reset the BIOS, follow these steps:
- Restart system and press ‘F2’ continuously when system boots until you see BIOS settings.
- Select ‘Reset to Default,’ ‘Setup Defaults,’ or similar option in BIOS Settings to reset
Boot system normally. This might fix the issue with your hard drive and the error code 0146.
5. Run Disk Cleanup
Disk cleanup helps in cleaning up the unnecessary files from your hard drive. The Disk Cleanup not only fixes issues with the system but also frees up storage space by removing temporary files, empties recycle bin, and removes unnecessary files, which could be responsible for the error code 2000-0146. Meanwhile to run disk cleanup on your system, follow these steps:
- Go to Start, type ‘Disk Cleanup’, and hit CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.
- Select the drive you want to clean up and then click OK
- Wait until Disk Cleanup scans your drive information. After scanning, select the checkboxes of the temporary files and click ‘OK.’
- A popup appears. Confirm by clicking the ‘Delete Files’ button.
6. Replace your Hard Drive
If you still face the error code 2000-0146 issue and frequent system freezes, it’s better to replace the hard disk of your Dell system with a new one. You also need to recover data from the old hard drive before it completely fails. So you can contact the authorized data recovery service provider for data recovery.
Additional Reading: How to Fix ATA/SATA hard drive not detected in BIOS?
In conclusion, the blog provides tried and tested methods to repair and fix hard drive error code 0146. Don’t worry if you are still not able to repair and fix the error on your system. Let professionals handle your hard drive to ensure complete data recovery. An ISO 9001:20015 certified organization is recovering data from the last 2.5 decades, Stellar Data Recovery is the most trusted, safe, and secure data recovery service provider of India, which can help you to recover data from a corrupt, formatted, or damaged hard drive. What’s more, Stellar Data Recovery follows ‘No Recovery No Charge* Policy.’
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques: I am getting the error 2000-0146 on my dell laptop. What does the error code 0146 mean?
Ans: This error is associated with Dell PCs and laptops. This freezes the PC and prevents software applications to start. The 0146-error code indicates the logs of the errors on the hard drive, which results in the hard drive failure
Ques: What are the causes of Dell error code 0146?
Ans: The error can occur in old or new Dell PC due to the following reasons:
- Bad Sector or fragments in the hard drive
- SATA Mode (IDE or AHCI might be conflicting with the hard drive.)
- Unable to start the PC due to BIOS error.
- Physical damage to the hard drive components, for example, the RAM might be damaged.
Ques: How to fix Dell PC error code 2000-0146?
Ans: You can follow the below steps:
- Scan your system
- Run Disk CheckUp
- Try to repair PC Registry
- Run PSA (Pre-Boot System Assessment) Diagnostics
- Reset BIOS Settings
- Restore PC in safe mode
- And the Clean Boot system
Ques: I am unable to fix Dell error code 0146 from above methods?
Ans: If the above methods do not work to fix Dell error code 0146, then your hard drive might be having some physical damage. It could be possible that the hard drive internal circuitry is damaged. In this situation, you can get help from the manufacturer; however, for recovering your data, you should contact the data recovery service provider.