Lotus Notes, currently known as HCL Notes, saves the mailbox data, such as emails, contacts, attachments, etc. in NSF files. Also, when you archive or backup your emails from Lotus Notes or HCL Notes email client, the backup or archive file is saved either in CSV or NSF file format. Unfortunately, the NSF file format isn’t supported by Outlook. Microsoft Outlook only supports CSV or PST files for import.
CSV or Comma Separated Values is a recommended format when you need to export contacts from Lotus Notes or any other email client to Outlook. For moving emails from Lotus Notes to Outlook, you must use the PST file format.
Since Lotus Notes or HCL Notes does not export the mail items to PST format, you can use an NSF to PST converter software, such as Stellar Converter for NSF, to convert the Lotus Notes archives or NSF files into Outlook importable PST format. This blog will take you through the step-by-step process of converting Lotus Notes NSF files into Outlook PST format using the Stellar Converter for NSF software.
Convert Lotus Notes NSF Files into Outlook Importable PST
To export Lotus Notes data to Outlook using Stellar Converter for NSF, you need to perform the following steps:
- Archive the mail items from Lotus Notes Client to NSF format
- Convert NSF file containing Lotus Notes mail items into PST format
- Import converted PST file into Outlook
Below we have explained these steps.
Step 1: Archive the mail items from Lotus Notes to NSF format
To archive emails from Lotus Notes email client to NSF format, follow these steps:
- Open the Lotus Notes or HCL Notes email client and navigate to
- From the options, choose Archive > Archive Now.
- Click OK
- This will start archiving the Lotus Notes emails to the NSF file on your local computer.
- After the archiving is done, you can access the archive from the left-pane.
- You can open it and find the location of the NSF file.
Once the NSF file is located, follow the next step to convert the archive into Outlook importable PST format.
Step 2: Convert NSF file containing Lotus Notes mail items into PST format
To convert the NSF file into Outlook importable PST format, follow these steps:
- Download, install and launch Stellar Converter for NSF.
- Click on the Browse button and select the NSF archive file. Click Convert.
- After the conversion, the Lotus Notes mail items will be displayed in the preview window. Select the mail items you want to convert to Outlook PST format.
- After choosing the mail items, click Save Converted File.
- From the available options, choose PST and click Next.
- Then select a location to save the PST file using the Browse And then, click OK.
- This will save the Lotus Notes NSF archive in PST format at your selected location. You can now import the PST file into Outlook.
Step 3: Import Converted PST File into Outlook
Finally, you can open or import the converted PST file into your Outlook profile on any system (Windows or Mac) to access the Lotus Notes emails in Outlook. The steps are as follows:
- Open Outlook and navigate to File > Open & Export > Open Outlook Data File.
- Go to the PST file’s location, select it, and click This will open the PST file contents, i.e., mail items in Outlook.
- To import PST into Outlook, navigate to File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
- Choose Import from another program or file and click Next.
- Choose Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.
- Click Browse to select the PST file and click Next.
- Select the email profile where you want to import the PST and click Next.
- Click Finish.
The PST file and its content will be imported into your Outlook profile. You can now access all the Lotus Notes mail items in Outlook.
This article explains how to convert the Lotus Notes emails into Outlook importable PST files using a Lotus Notes to Outlook converter software. We also discussed steps to import the converted PST file into Outlook to access the Lotus Notes emails in Outlook. The Lotus Notes to Outlook converter software we have used is Stellar Converter for NSF. It allows Lotus Notes or HCL Notes users to move their mail items to Outlook or Office 365 in a few clicks.
So if you are planning to switch from Lotus Notes or HCL Notes to an Outlook email client, the software is a must as it keeps the folder hierarchy intact and allows you to move all mail items with complete integrity and precision. Besides, there’s no other way around except CSV export/import, but that will leave you with missing emails or attachments due to its limitations.