|Summary: Not Implemented error on Outlook 2007 and higher versions may occur when you click Send/Receive, Reply/Reply All, Forward, or send a new email.” In this blog, we try to find out the reasons for the “Not Implemented” error in Outlook and cover all possible solutions to fix this error. |
Table of Content:
Microsoft Outlook is the default email client on Windows machines. The software, a part of the Office suite from the late 90s, usually works quite well. But it is not without occasional problems. Microsoft Outlook might show a “Not Implemented” dialogue. When you encounter a “Not Implemented” error on Microsoft Outlook 2016 or lower version, you can’t perform the key tasks of sending and receiving emails. If you are worried about how to fix Outlook “Not Implemented” follow our advice.
What is the Reason for the Outlook Not Implemented Error?
There are several reasons why an Outlook “Not Implemented” error message may pop up on your Windows 10 system.
- Defective Outlook Add-ins
- Issues with Send / Receive Settings, or damaged SRS file
- Corrupted Outlook Profile
- Improper installation of Office/Outlook
- Corrupted installation of Office/Outlook
- Problems with Outlook updates
- Side-by-side installation of Outlook/Office
- Incompatible Windows 10 updates
- Corrupt Outlook PST file
[FIXED]: Outlook “Not Implemented” Error
These are the ways you can try to fix Outlook’s “Not Implemented” error. Always maintain a backup of the PST file before you attempt these repairs.
1. Disable Defective Outlook Add-Ins
[NOTE]: This method involves disabling and enabling all the Outlook Add-ins manually.
A. Launch Outlook in Safe mode
To do this, navigate as follows:
Close Outlook > Press Windows+R > Type outlook.exe /safe > Hit Enter key.
Otherwise, you can press the Ctrl key and click on the Outlook desktop shortcut. A dialogue box will appear warning you that you are opening Outlook in safe mode. Click Yes.
Once Outlook is launched in safe mode, follow the next step.
B. Click File > Options
C. On the page that opens, select Add-Ins > Select COM Add-ins from the dropdown > Hit Go
This opens the ‘COM‘ Add-Ins page.
D. Uncheck (remove the tick mark) all the checkboxes, and click OK to save the changes.
E. Next, close Outlook and launch it normally.
F. Try sending an email, and see if the Outlook error “Not Implemented” is resolved. If this fixes the error, one or more Outlook Add-Ins were causing the problem.
G. To locate which Add-ins are causing this error, enable an Add-In and restart Outlook, and try sending a test email to see if the error occurs again.
H. Repeat this process for all the Add-Ins one after the other.
[NOTE]: Disable the one that brings back the error, and then proceed with enabling the next Add-In.
Sometimes a new update might prevent Outlook from working the way it should. If Outlook shows “Not Implemented” after a Windows 10 update, go to update history and roll it back.
2. Create a New Outlook Profile
Creating a new Outlook profile/account creates a new SRS file, and may help fix issues with the existing Outlook account.
Steps to create a new Outlook profile on Windows 10:
[NOTE]: With the steps given below, you can create a new profile on any version of Microsoft Outlook such as Outlook 2021, 2019, and lower versions.
1. On the Windows search box at Toolbar, type control panel.
2. Click Mail
3. Click Show Profiles on the window that opens
This would open the Mail window.
- Don’t click Copy
- Don’t delete your existing Outlook profile until the new Profile is created and works as expected.
4. Click Add. This opens a New Profile box.
5. Assign a name to the profile under the Profile Name text field, and click OK
6. On the window that opens, type your name, email address, and password (if prompted)
[NOTE]: If you’re using Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010, you’d see a Password field in addition to Name and Email Address fields. To proceed, provide the password in that field.
[IMPORTANT]: Go for automatic setup by selecting the Email Account option to avoid setting up the profile manually.
7. Click Next, and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the creation of an Outlook profile
8. Launch the Control Panel once again
9. Click Show Profiles > Select Prompt for a profile to be used and click OK
10. Launch Outlook now by choosing a new profile
11. Try to send an email and see if the “Not Implemented” error in Outlook is fixed
12. If it is then Show Profiles > Select Always use this profile and click OK.
3. Repair Office/Outlook
The error “Not Implemented” may also occur when your Outlook installation itself is broken, or when you have two versions of Outlook installed, which is called side-by-side installation. For instance, you installed Outlook 2013 and still have a previous version such as Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010 installed on your system. In such cases, repairing the Office/Outlook app might help fix this error.
Microsoft Office can be both an MSI install (from a DVD) or an online install.
In case of an MSI install (i.e. you own the Microsoft Office DVD) to repair Office or a standalone Outlook app, follow the steps:
1. Launch Control Panel
2. Click Programs and Features
3. Select the installed Office app or Outlook app (if standalone)
4. Click Change or Modify (You’d be able to see any of these options)
5. Click Repair
6. Once the Repair process is complete, try sending an email
In case of online installation, the program would ask in Step 4. above “How would you like to repair your Office programs?” and present two options – Quick Repair and Online Repair. If you do not have access to the internet choose Quick Repair.
Laptops that are sold with pre-installed Office will invariably require the second mode. Note that repair or reinstalling might need the product key once again. Microsoft changes its policy about this often depending on the version of Office one is using. Check that you have the license key before you hit Repair. In the case of laptops with pre-installed Office, you need to log in with the MSN account you created when first running the laptop. Check that you can access that email address and have the necessary password.
If you’re still seeing the error and wondering how to fix the “Not Implemented” error in Outlook, after applying the above methods, this indicates that the Outlook PST file is corrupt.
Repair Corrupt PST file
Your POP or IMAP account is associated with a PST file that is created and stored on your system when you create an Outlook profile. This PST file may get corrupted due to improper exit from Outlook, hardware failure and virus attacks, or any other reason. If the PST file gets corrupted, you may encounter a “Not Implemented” error.
To repair corrupt PST files, you can use Outlook’s in-built Scanpst.exe tool (also known as Inbox Repair Tool), or an Outlook PST Repair Tool such as Stellar Repair for Outlook.
[CAUTION]: Using scanpst.exe carries a risk of data loss. The repair process may remove/delete some corrupt Outlook items such as emails, notes, etc., which it couldn’t repair.
Thread 1, and thread 2 on answers.microsoft.com discuss a few challenges associated with scanpst.exe. Use Stellar Repair for Outlook instead.
Method 1: Use the SCANPST tool
Steps to repair PST file by using the SCANPST tool:
1. Close Outlook
2. Find the SCANPST file on your system by clicking on C drive > click Program Files > click on Microsoft Office > click on a folder with the name Office<year> e.g. Office2019.
3. Locate the SCANPST file by scrolling or typing the file name in the Windows Explorer search bar.
4. Double-click the SCANPST file. This will launch the scanpst tool.
5. Click Browse to find the PST
If you’re unable to locate the PST file, navigate as follows to know its location, and then browse this location to select your PST file:
Launch Control Panel > click Mail > click Data Files > Select your email account > click Open file location.
6. Click Start to scan the browsed PST
7. Click the Repair button that you see after scanning is complete
8. Once the repair is complete, click OK
9. Launch Outlook and see if the “Not Implemented” error is resolved
Method 2: Use Stellar Repair for Outlook
Stellar Repair for Outlook is an effective and reliable tool that can repair severely corrupt PST files of any size with 100% integrity and precision. It repairs PST files created in Outlook 2021, 2019, & older versions. Here is how you can use Stellar Repair for Outlook to fix Outlook’s “Not Implemented” error. You should be able to fix the “ Not Implemented” error. Instead of worrying “how do I fix Outlook not implemented” download Stellar Repair for Outlook and let it sort things out.
1. What is a PST file?
A PST file is a proprietary file type used by Microsoft from the early days of Office in 1995. It is used for compacting data and preserving it. In addition, it is easily portable and lets you transfer email files from the office server to your local device. It is the PST file that provides you access to email when you are offline. Read more in detail about outlook PST files.
2. Does the SCANPST tool always work?
Windows has many inbuilt tools like SCANPST and CHKDSK, but they often fail. CHKDSK is known to return false negatives often (it shows the hard drive is repaired, but it fails in the next hour). Scanpst might simply freeze with the taskbar, not moving an iota.
What to do when ScanPST is not responding?
3. Can a complete reinstall of Office work?
Microsoft website suggests uninstalling and reinstalling Office if the repair Office option does not work.
Keep a few things in mind though before attempting it:
- Can you reinstall Office without buying it again, i.e. do you own the DVD or are you sure that the factory installation of Office on a laptop can be reinstalled?
- Also, keep in mind that Office reinstall does not repair PST files.
4. Why choose Stellar for PST repair?
Stellar is a highly regarded software that repairs PST files perfectly. It provides many advantages:
- A simple UI that is easy to navigate.
- Allows users to preview emails before recovery.
- Can split large PST files and compact them.
- You can choose to save the retrieved email as Rich Text or MBOX, HTML, and other formats.
Instead of searching endlessly for “how to fix Not Implemented error in Outlook 2010” get Stellar Repair for Outlook and save yourself a lot of headaches.
5. Which OS is supported by Stellar Repair for Outlook?
Version 12 supports Windows 11, 10, 8, and 7 in both 32 and 64-bit operating systems.
The “Not Implemented” error in Outlook 2021, 2019, 2016, and lower versions may crop up when users try to send/receive emails or refresh the folders. This article outlined the possible causes of such an error. We also presented some methods to fix the issue such as disabling the Outlook add-ins, creating a new Outlook SRS file, and repairing Outlook with the PST tool.
If these fixes don’t work, it indicates that the PST file is corrupt. To repair corrupt PST files, you can use scanpst.exe but it has some limitations such as the probability of data loss, and the inability to handle large PST files (in older versions of Outlook). Alternatively, you can use a reliable and effective solution. Stellar Repair for Outlook to repair the corrupt PST file. The software can repair severely corrupt files without file size limitations.