|Summary: “Not Implemented” error on Outlook 2007 and higher versions may occur when you click Send/Receive, Reply/Reply All, Forward, or send a new email.” In this blog, we try to find out the reasons for the “Not Implemented” error in Outlook and cover all possible solutions to fix this error. |
When you encounter a “Not Implemented” error on Microsoft Outlook 2016 or lower version, you couldn’t perform the key operations. The error prevents you from doing key tasks on Outlook—sending and receiving emails.
What is the Reason for Outlook “Not Implemented” Error?
There are several reasons due to which Outlook “Not Implemented” error message may pop out on your Windows 10 system, which are:
- Interfering Outlook Add-ins
- Issues with Send / Receive Settings, or damaged SRS file
- Corrupt Outlook Profile
- Improper installation/corruption of Office/Outlook
- Issues with Outlook updates
- Side-by-side installation of Outlook/Office
- Faulty Windows 10 updates
- Corrupt Outlook PST file
[FIXED]: Outlook “Not Implemented” Error
1. Disable Interfering Outlook Add-Ins
[NOTE]: This method involves disabling and enabling all the Outlook Add-ins manually.
A. Launch Outlook in Safe mode
To do this, navigate as follows:
Close Outlook>Press Windows+R>Type outlook.exe /safe>Hit Enter key
Once Outlook is launched in safe mode, follow the next step.
B. Click File>Options
C. On the page that opens, select Add-Ins>Select COM Add-ins from the dropdown>Hit Go
This opens the ‘COM‘ Add-Ins page.
D. Uncheck (remove tick mark) all the checkboxes, and click OK to disable all the Add-Ins
E. Next, close Outlook and launch it normally
F.Try sending an email, and see if the Outlook error “Not Implemented” is resolved.If this fixes the error, one or more Outlook Add-Ins were causing the error
G.To analyze which Add-ins are causing this error, enable one Add-In and restart Outlook, and try sending an email to see if the error occurs again
H.Repeat this process for all the Add-Ins one after the other
[NOTE]: Disable the one that resurfaces the error, and then proceed with enabling the next Add-In
2. Create a New Outlook Profile
Creating a new Outlook profile/account creates a new SRS file, and may help fix issues with the existing Outlook account.
Steps to create a new Outlook profile on Windows 10:
[NOTE]: With the steps given below, you can create a new profile on any version of Microsoft Outlook such as Outlook 2019, 2016, and lower versions.
- On Windows search box at Toolbar, type control panel, and click Control Panel that populates
- Click Mail
- Click Show Profiles on the window that opens
This would open the Mail window.
- Don’t click Copy
- Don’t delete your existing Outlook profile until the new Profile is created and works as expected.
4. Click Add. This opens a New Profile box.
5. Assign a name to the profile under the Profile Name text field, and click OK
6. On the window that opens, type your name, email address, and password (if prompted)
[NOTE]: If you’re using Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010, you’d see a Password field in addition to Name and Email Address fields. To proceed, provide the password in that field.
[IMPORTANT]: Go for automatic setup by selecting the Email Account option to avoid setting up the profile manually.
7. Click Next, and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the creation of Outlook profile
8. Launch Control Panel once again
9. Click Show Profiles>Select Prompt for a profile to be used and click OK
10. Launch Outlook now by choosing a New profile
11. Try to send an email and see if the “Not Implemented” error in Outlook is fixed
3. Repair Office/Outlook
The error “Not Implemented” may also occur when your Outlook installation itself is broken, or when you have two versions of Outlook installed, which is called side-by-side installation. For instance, you installed Outlook 2013 and still have a previous version such as Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010 installed on your system. In such cases, repairing the Office/Outlook app might help fix this error.
To repair Office or standalone Outlook app, follow the steps:
- Launch Control Panel
- Click Programs and Features
- Select the installed Office app or Outlook app (if standalone)
- Click Change or Modify (You’d be able to see any of these options)
- Click Repair
- Once the Repair process is complete, try sending an email
If you’re still seeing the error, even after applying the above methods, this indicates that the Outlook PST file is corrupt.
Repair Corrupt PST file
Your POP or IMAP account is associated with a PST file that is created and stored on your system when you create an Outlook profile. This PST file may get corrupted due to faulty Windows 10 updates, virus attacks, or any other reason. If the PST file gets corrupted, you may encounter a “Not Implemented” error.
To repair corrupt PST files, you can use Outlook in-built Scanpst.exe tool (also known as Inbox Repair Tool), or an Outlook PST repair tool such as Stellar Repair for Outlook.
[CAUTION]: Using scanpst.exe carries a risk of data loss. The repair process may remove/delete some corrupt Outlook items such as emails, notes, etc., which it couldn’t repair. Thread 1, and thread 2 on answers.microsoft.com discuss a few challenges associated with scanpst.exe. Use Stellar Repair for Outlook instead.
Method 1: Use the SCANPST tool
Steps to repair PST file by using SCANPST tool:
- Close Outlook
- Find the SCANPST file on your system by following the path given below:
[NOTE]: This path is valid for Outlook 2016. To know the path of this file for other versions, click here.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\office16\
3.Double-click the SCANPST file. This will launch the scanpst tool.
4. Click Browse to find the PST
If you’re unable to locate the PST file, navigate as follows to know its location, and then browse this location to select your PST file:
Launch Control Panel>click Mail> click Data Files>Select your email account>click Open file location.
5. Click Start to scan the browsed PST
6. Click the Repair button that you see after scanning is complete
7. Once the repair is complete, click OK
8. Launch Outlook and see if the “Not Implemented” error is resolved
Method 2: Use Stellar Repair for Outlook
Stellar Repair for Outlook is an effective and reliable tool that can repair severely corrupt PSTs of any size with 100% integrity and precision. It repairs PSTs created in Outlook 2019, 2016, & older versions.
Here is how you can use stellar repair for outlook to fix outlook not implemented error. You should be able to fix the “ Not Implemented” error.
The “Not Implemented” error in Outlook 2019, 2016 and lower versions may occur when users try to send/receive emails or try to refresh the folders. This blog outlined the causes of such an error. It discussed some methods to fix the issue such as disabling the Outlook add-ins, creating a new Outlook profile, and repairing Outlook. If these fixes don’t work, it indicates that the PST file is corrupt. To repair corrupt PST files, you can use Scanpst.exe but it has some limitations such as the probability of data loss, and the inability to handle large PST files. Alternately, you can use a reliable and effective solution. Stellar Repair for Outlook to repair the corrupt PST file. The software can repair severely corrupt files without file size limitations.