How to Recover Data from Burnt Hard Drive?
There are scenarios when you already know that your hard disk has burnt. Imagine, a devastating fire broke out in an industrial facility and damaged some of the servers/computers by the time it was doused. Even if it’s not a fire hazard, overheating of your hard disk, smoky, and burning smell from your hard disk are a few signs that you can watch out for a burnt hard disk. In this blog, you will also learn how to recover data from burnt hard drive.
Special Offer from Stellar
Get exclusive offer on stellar data recovery service, drop an email to email@example.com
इस पोस्ट को हिंदी में पढ़ने के लिए यहां क्लिक करें।
Whatsoever may be the case, it results in hardware loss. But, what could be even more worrying is the loss of data that’s stored on the drive. Your primary concern is to recover data from a burnt hard disk. But before we go through the steps to recover data from burnt hard drive, it’s critical to look at a few don’ts with the burnt hard disk.
Stellar Remote Recovery Services
|In continuation of our commitment to data care services and to ensure that data loss situations don’t affect you or your business, we have launched a cutting-edge Remote Data Recovery Service. |
This service allows you to recover data over the Internet without getting your device physically touched by the experts, thus offering safe and contactless recovery. Our contactless remote data recovery service is available across Windows, Mac, and Linux systems.
Recovering data from a burnt hard disk – What not to do?
A lot of people fall prey to damaging their hard disk further in making attempts to recover data by hit-and-trial methods and half-baked knowledge. Here’s what you shouldn’t do:
- Don’t keep the burnt hard disk in the freezer to recover data.
- Don’t try to dismantle the hard disk on your own.
- Don’t make attempts to boot your burnt hard drive.
- Avoid using data recovery software in case of a burnt hard disk.
Steps to recover data from burnt hard drive
|[NOTE]: Given data recovery steps are applicable only for the hard drive which produces smoky and burning smell due to overheating. These steps are not applicable to the severely burnt hard drive. For recovering data from severely burnt hard drive, contact professional data recovery service provider.|
- Connect your burnt hard disk to another working PC.
- If your hard drive is external, connect it to another PC via USB port.
- In case if it is internal, remove it from your PC, insert it in an HDD enclosure and then connect it to another PC via USB port.
- If you are able to access your burnt hard disk, copy the data on any other storage device. Now you have a copy of the remaining data, you have eliminated the risk of further data loss.
- Disconnect the burnt hard disk “safely”.
- Seek the help of an acclaimed to recover your data.
You can never recover data from a burnt hard drive on your own. Recovery in such cases needs a well-equipped lab and expertise.
Measures to prevent your hard disk from getting burnt
Hard disks cannot withstand high temperatures. Overheating of a hard disk might result in the burning of its components like PCB (Printed Circuit Board), platter, and read/write head. But still, there are some preventive actions to help safeguard your hard disk. Let’s have a quick look at some of the proactive approaches:
- Shut down the PC and disconnect your hard disk if you observe any sign of a burnt hard disk.
- Check the CPU fan. A malfunctioning fan could lead to overheating of your hard disk.
- Unclog the blocked vents of your computer, if you find any.
- Keep your computer away from heated surroundings.
- Prevent your computer or hard disk from being exposed to moisture. It may lead to short circuits and eventually may burn your hard disk.
Even after taking the above preventive measures, there’s no control over disastrous situations such as natural calamities or an industrial fire hazard that may burn your hard disk. So, it’s best to back up and test your data at regular intervals. So that you can recover the data even if your hard disk has burnt.
For more details, continue reading….
In a nutshell
It’s better to take preventive measures so that you don’t even get in a situation where you find your hard disk has burnt. But if you’ve already lost your data, you should first try to safeguard the data that is still there before making attempts to recover data from burnt hard disk. As soon as you encounter any symptoms of a burnt hard disk, backup your data if the drive is accessible, and then stop using it.
Next, reach out to a professional data recovery service provider to seek expert help for recovering your data from the burnt hard drive. Be wise while making this choice. Since a burnt hard disk is a physical damage condition, your wrong decision may lead to further permanent data loss, making your data irretrievable.