Virtual Hard Disk or VHD files are important system files, and it is used by Microsoft Virtual PCs. Have you never created a Virtual Hard Disk or are you looking for how to recover VHD Files? Here is everything you should know about Virtual Hard Disk Recovery.
What is a VHD File?
VHD is a file format, and Microsoft Virtual PCs used it as a method to represent a Virtual Hard Disk Drive. The contents of a VHD file is similar to a formatted physical hard disk drive. It also includes elements like a boot record, disk partitions, file systems, etc. and then the file is used as a logical disk.
Therefore, .VHD and .VHDX files make it possible for multiple Operating Systems to exist on a single computer. This is a great tool for developers. They can test the same software on different Operating Systems without any issue. There is no need to get a second hard disk. You don’t even have to partition the existing hard disk into multiple volumes.
How to Create a VHD File?
Creating a .vhd and .vhdx format file is easy. But before you begin, you need to specify the reason for creating one. Accordingly, you can create the VHD file with the Disk Management Feature. Here’s a look at the method:
Create a VHD File with Windows Disk Management feature
Simply follow these steps:
- Go to the Desktop. Right click on ‘My Computer’ and then click on ‘Manage’.
- Click on ‘Disk Management’.
- Click on ‘More Actions’ on the right side of a window and then click on ‘Create VHD’.
- A Create and Attach Virtual Hard Disk window will open. Browse the required location for saving the VHD file.
- Define the file format and choose from 2 options – ‘Dynamically Expanding’ or ‘Fixed Size.’
- Then Click on ‘Ok’.
The Virtual Hard Disk will be created accordingly.
How to Repair/Recover VHD Files?
VHD files are also prone to errors. This is because they are nothing but a conceptual shadow of physical hard drives. Different factors that can render them non-functional include:
- Virus Attacks.
- Storage Media Failure.
- Software Malfunction.
- Improper System Shutdown.
Corruption puts your data at risk. Your .VHD and .VHDX files becomes inaccessible. If you are suffering from the same, here are some ways that can help you with VHD Data Recovery.
1. VHD recovery through Windows Powershell
This method lets you check the integrity of the VHD file. This can be done with the help of Windows Powershell. It will help you mount the VHD file in the root folder. Consequently, run the CHKDSK command on it.
Here are the commands that you can run for the purpose. Make sure to change the details in accordance with your requirement.
#This helps you to choose the VHD drive you want to mount $VHDName = “G:\virtualdrive.vhd”
#Get the MSVM_ImageManagementService
$VHDService = get-wmiobject -class “Msvm_ImageManagementService” -namespace “root\virtualization” -computername “.”
#The VHD is mounted now
$Result = $VHDService.Mount($VHDName)
Now you can run the CHKDSK command on this VHD.
2. VHD File Recovery by creating Virtual Machines
VHD File Recovery can also be done by creating a Virtual Machine. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- Create a New Virtual Server and then add a new hard disk to it.
- Click on ‘Settings’ and Select the created hard disk then, browse to the VHD file that needs to be repaired.
- Open the Virtual Disk Wizard and Select the ‘Compact’ option, then select the ‘Convert it to a fixed-size virtual hard disk’ option.
- Now you can save this VHD file with a new file name.
This will successfully compact the VHD file, and then you can mount it to the original server.
3.VHD recovery through Microsoft VHD tool
The Microsoft VHD tool can also work wonders to repair a damaged VHD file. Here are the steps that you can follow to recover VHD File:
- Download the Microsoft VHD executable file, then run the file as the admin.
- Use the following command line
exe /repair <BaseVhdFileName> <FirstSnapshotAVhdFileName> [/quiet]
The tool would scan the VHD file accordingly to look for repairs.
4. VHD Recovery with Stellar
If none of the above-mentioned steps is working for you, then this might indicate a deep-rooted problem with the drive or VHD file. A corrupted hard drive or VHD file can make you lose valuable data. This makes a recovery important, especially if your VHD file contains valuable personal or business data.
When everything else fails, Stellar can still save your data. Hard Drive and VHD Recovery services from Stellar can help you recover data lost due to accidental deletion of backups or VHDs.
With decades of experience and a team of expert professionals under our belt, no recovery requirement is ever out of bounds. Here is the process that we follow for every recovery VHD/HDD recovery request:
- We facilitate a doorstep pick up of your hard disk after the payment.
- We extensively analyzed the hard drive for errors, and then we provide every information about the same, along with a free consultation regarding the best course of action for recovery.
- The recovery process is undertaken accordingly, and all your lost data is retrieved.
- Data is verified by your feedback and the recovery process if accordingly wrapped up.
- After a successful recovery of the data, you can make the payment.
- We handed you the hard drive with all data intact.
Services and software from Stellar have the capability to recover any type of lost data from any storage device. If none of the steps works for you, it might also indicate that your hard disk is developing bad sectors. Whatever the case, it always pays to act immediately when it comes to data recovery. Any unsanctioned delay would lead to further degradation of the hard disk and loss of more valuable data.