|Summary: Microsoft releases regular updates of the Windows operating systems to enhance new features and to fixe security patches. Windows 10 is increasingly becoming popular among users, upgrading to Windows 10 is easy, however, at times upgrade can trigger major or minor data loss. Missing outlook contacts in one major issue for MS Outlook users who have upgraded to Windows 10.
“I had installed Windows 10 a few weeks back; all looked fine until I had to send an email via outlook, I can send emails but, I have lost my calendar and all contact lists. How do I recover contacts in Outlook?”
Windows 10 supports Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016, office 2019, and office 365. This includes their respective BCM versions. Outlook 2007 and older versions are not recommended, as support to office 2007 has discontinued. These older versions of Office are vulnerable to security issues and no updates are made available for these versions. In this blog, we’ve discussed some methods—to recover contacts in Outlook that are missing after Windows 10 update.
Check if Outlook Address Book is Added
As Outlook Address Book contains address lists created from your contact folders, check if it’s added to the Outlook mail application on Windows 10 system.
Here are the steps to check this:
- Launch Outlook
- Click File tab at the top-left corner
- Click Account Settings to get a drop-down menu, and select Account Settings from the drop-down menu
- Select Address Books tab at the top-right corner of the window that opens
You should be able to see outlook Address Book under this tab as shown below.
If you’re unable to see it, create one as shown below.
Create an Outlook Address Book
You can create Outlook Address Book on any version of Outlook that you may be using such as Outlook 2010, or other versions of Outlook by following the steps given below:
- Under Address Books tab, click New at the top-left corner of the window
- Select Additional Address Books on the window that opens, and click Next
- Select Outlook Address Book option, and click Next
- Follow on-screen instructions to complete the action
- Close and restart Microsoft Outlook, and check if you’re able to see the missing contacts in Outlook.
If you’re still unable to see your missing contacts on Outlook after Windows 10 update, try the methods given below:
Methods to Recover Contacts in Outlook
1. Create another Outlook profile
After installing Windows updates, it may sometimes happen that some of the necessary Outlook files or metadata move to another folder. Due to this, Outlook contacts may go missing. To overcome this issue, try recreating the Outlook email profile on your Windows system. Recreating the Outlook profile creates another Offline Outlook Data File (.OST) which is a synchronized copy of your mailbox data stored on the server. Thus, this may help you retrieve the Outlook missing contacts.
You can create a new Outlook profile by following the steps given below:
[NOTE]: With the steps given below, you can create an Outlook profile on any version of Microsoft Outlook such as outlook 365, Outlook 2019, Outlook 2016, Outlook 2013, Outlook 2010.
- Launch Control Panel on your Windows system
- Click Mail
- Once you click Mail, a wizard would appear on-screen. Click Show Profiles.
- Click Add, give a name to this profile and click OK
- Don’t click Copy button as it’ll copy the existing data from older profile to the new one that you’re creating.
- Don’t delete your previous Outlook profile until your new Mail Profile is ready and working as expected.
- On the window that opens, enter your name, email address of the affected email account, and password (if prompted)
[IMPORTANT]: To avoid setting up the Outlook profile manually, select Email Account option instead of Manual Setup
[NOTE]: This window would look a bit different if you’re using Outlook 2007, or Outlook 2010. If you’re using any of these versions, you’d see a Password field in addition to Name, and Email Address fields. To proceed, provide a password in that field.
- Click Next, and follow the on-screen instructions to finish the automatic setup of Outlook profile.
- Launch the Control Panel once again >> Show Profiles >> Choose Prompt for a profile to be used and click OK
This setting helps you choose and open an Outlook profile out of the multiple profiles that you may have created.
- Close Outlook and relaunch it
- Select the newly created profile to load
- Check if you’re able to see the contacts
2. Use Stellar Repair for Outlook to Recover Contacts in Outlook
If you have exhausted your options to recover missing contacts from outlook, consider data restoration the best option. We suggest using the recommended software that will assist in recovering your data. Stellar Outlook PST Repair not only helps you repair and recover corrupt or damaged PST files it also recovers emails, contacts, calendars, tasks etc!
Installing Windows updates may move personal data and application data from one location on your Windows 10 system to the other. Therefore, you may find your contacts missing from Outlook 2010 or latest versions of Outlook after Windows 10 update. You can try the hotfix mentioned in this blog to solve this problem. If the problem persists, you can try the methods—Create a new Outlook profile, Use Outlook recovery tool to recover missing contacts.