|Summary: The process of upgrading to Windows 10 from the previous version of the window such as 8.1 or 7, is usually error-free, and restore all the files and data as it is. However, sometimes, you may lose files after upgrading to Windows 10.
This blog we aim to help customers to recover files after Windows 10 update, Stellar Data Recovery Professional is DIY recovery software that helps the customer to recover deleted, lost, or formatted hard drives too. Customers can download the demo version to evaluate the software functionality.
There are several reasons for which you may be unable to locate your files, which are:
- You’re signed in with a temporary Windows account.
- Administrator account that was created before the upgrade is now disabled.
- Files are moved to different locations.
- Upgrading to Windows 10 deleted your files.
Continue Reading if your query is:
|1. How to restore files after windows 10 upgrade?
2. How to recover files after Windows 10 Update?
3. How to recover files after upgrading to Windows 10?
4. Files missing after Windows 10 update etc.
5. How to recover files after Windows 10 reset?
6. How to recover data after windows reinstall?
Can I Recover Files after Windows 10 Update?
Yes, you can recover lost files by using a data recovery tool such as Stellar Windows Data Recovery software. However, before assuming that the files are deleted, let’s follow the given methods to locate lost files after the Windows update.
इस पोस्ट को हिंदी में पढ़ने के लिए यहां क्लिक करें।
Methods to Locate Missing Files after Windows Update
1. Sign out from temporary Windows profile
At times, Windows creates and signs you into a temporary Windows profile after upgrading. Due to this, you won’t be able to see files stored on your old profile. Below are the steps to sign out of this temporary account and sign in with your old profile to find your missing files.
a) Type Settings in the search box on the taskbar, and click the Settings app that populates.
b) Click Accounts
c) Click Sync your settings on the left-hand pane of the window that opens.
If you’re able to see a message “You are logged on with a temporary profile. Roaming options are currently unavailable” on the right-hand pane, you’re signed in with a temporary Windows profile.
d) Restart your system, sign in again, and check if you’re able to see the missing files.
[CAUTION]: Before restarting your system, back up the data that you saved on a temporary profile after upgrading to Windows 10.
[NOTE]: You might need to restart the system more than once to make this work.
2. Use the Search Box on the Taskbar to Find Files
If you’re not signed in with a temporary Windows profile, you can directly search for the missing file(s) through the search box on the taskbar. To find a file, you can search by the file name of the file type. For example, if you’re looking for a lost Excel file, search with the file name (by which it was saved) or *.xlsx. See the picture below.
3. Enable Administrator account created for upgrade
After upgrading to Windows 10, the Administrator account that you may have created while upgrading may get disabled automatically. If that’s the case, you won’t be able to see your files stored on the disabled Administrator account unless to enable it and sign in with this account.
To enable the Administrator account, follow the steps given below:
- Type Computer Management in the search box on the taskbar.
- Click on Computer Management.
- On the Computer Management window that opens, click Local Users and Groups on the left-hand pane.
- Double-click Users on the right-hand pane
- Double-click Administrator
- If you see that the checkbox Account is disabled is tick marked, uncheck the box.
- Click Apply, and then click OK.
- Sign in with this Administrator account and try to locate your lost files.
If you’re still unable to find your missing files, then probably the files are deleted while upgrading to Windows 10. To recover deleted files, you need to use Stellar data recovery software. This software is a DIY data recovery tool that can effectively recover deleted files and folders from any location on your system. Steps to recover lost files by using Windows Data Recovery Software:
- Download and install Stellar Windows Data Recovery software.
- Launch the software.
- Choose the types of files you want to recover.
- Select the drives from which you want to recover missing files, and click Scan.
- Once the scanning is complete, click Recover to save the missing files on a location of your choice.
Additional Reading: How to recover files after format Windows 10?
When you update the system to Windows 10, it may sometimes occur that you’re not able to locate some files on your system. Similarly, A windows 10 update may move your files to any other location on your system.
Upgrading to Windows 10 may disable the Admin account created while upgrading or sign you in with a temporary account. If the Administrator account is disabled, you won’t be able to see the files stored on the Administrator account. Likewise, if you’re signed in with a temporary account, you won’t find your files stored on other accounts.
In this blog, we’ve mentioned some easy-to-use methods to find the missing files after Windows 10 update. But while upgrading to Windows 10, if the files get deleted or permanently lost, the only way to recover the lost/deleted files is by using a Stellar data recovery software.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques: Windows 10 update deleted my files, how can I recover them?
Ans: You can use Stellar data recovery software to recover files after the windows 10 update. Sometimes in process of updating windows 10, it deletes important files. But don’t worry they do not delete permanently. you can recover missing files using the software.
Ques: Does upgrading Windows 10 delete all data?
Ans: Make sure to back up your data before upgrading/updating windows 10. Upgrading Windows 10 will remove all your data such as programs, files, and settings. So it is recommended to backup your data before performing any action.
Ques: My computer automatically updated to a new version of Windows 10 and now all of my files are deleted. How can I recover them and I don’t want to make the problem worse.
Ans: After the windows 10 update, many users are facing the same issue. So before performing any action keep backup of your data. Also, you can refer above software solution to recover your data.
Leave your query in the comment section in case you lost data while upgrading Windows 10 or updating it to windows 10.