|Summary: In this blog, you’ll learn how to recover data from RAID 5 with 2 failed drives. We’ve mentioned all the possible methods to recover data from RAID 5. We’ve also mentioned a powerful raid recovery software that can help you to quickly and safely restore data from failed RAID drives. |
Table of Content
RAID 5 is a robust storage solution among all the RAID levels. It contains a minimum of three drives and offers robust performance and data redundancy. The parity data is striped across all the disk drives. It means RAID 5 can withstand one drive failure. But, what happens if two or more drives are failed in the RAID 5 array? How would you recover your data then?
There are ways to restore data from RAID 5 with 2 failed drives. In this blog, we’ve mentioned the methods to recover data from RAID 5 when two or more drives are failed. But before moving on to the methods, let’s learn the causes that may lead to drives’ failure in a RAID array.
What Causes Disk Failure in RAID 5?
Several factors may cause drive failure in RAID 5. Some common ones are:
- RAID partitions are not configured
- RAID controller malfunction
- Re-establishing RAID 5 array with a failed drive
- Unexpected power breakdown
- Malware attack
|Important Note: RAID controller may not remain active after the failure of two drives. Therefore, immediately stop performing further actions. |
How to Recover RAID 5 with 2 Logically Failed Drives?
Here are some safe and effective methods to recover data from RAID 5 with 2 failed drives:
Method 1: Recover Data from RAID using Backup
RAID is never a backup solution. Similar to other storage drives, it may fail due to several reasons. Hence, it is always recommended to take a backup of your RAID array. And, if you have the RAID 5 data backup, you can easily get it back by following the given steps:
- First of all, verify if the available backup drive is completely functional and free from any error.
- Connect the backup drive to your system and store it in a different location.
- Replace the failed drives in the RAID 5 array.
- Connect the RAID 5 to the system and upload the backup drive data on the freshly configured RAID 5.
- Next, check if the data is available on RAID 5.
You can also know more about, what is the procedure to recover data from hard drive?
- Recovering data from a backup drive is time-consuming.
- Chances of data loss if the backup drive is not fully updated.
Method 2: Use a Powerful RAID Recovery Software
The best way to recover RAID 5 with 2 failed drives is using powerful data recovery software, such as Stellar Data Recovery Technician. It is an easy-to-use, DIY software that can efficiently retrieve the lost or deleted data from RAID drives. Additionally, it can restore data from corrupt, broken, or failed RAID arrays, including RAID 0, RAID 5, and RAID 6. It can also restore data from formatted RAID logical volumes.
Steps to recover data from RAID 5 by using the software:
- ‘Download, install and launch Stellar Data Recovery Technician
- Select the What to Recover screen, select ‘Everything’ or choose the type of data you want to restore.
- Next, on the ‘Recover From’ screen, select ‘RAID Recovery’.
- Select the RAID 5 and its available parameters.
- Scan and retrieve data in the accessible form.
- Finally, click Save to store the recovered data at the selected location.
- After recovering data, you can proceed to rebuild the RAID array by clicking Build RAID.
[Also Read]– Stellar Data Recovery Technician- All in One Software for Data Recovery Technicians
Why Choose Stellar’s RAID Data Recovery Tool?
- This DIY RAID recovery tool can efficiently and quickly recover data from RAID 5 with 2 failed drives. It uses powerful algorithms to identify the RAID parameters automatically.
- You can create an image of RAID drives for quick and secure data recovery.
- Virtual rebuilding of portable RAID is possible even if the parameters set to the RAID configuration are unknown.
- It enables you to retrieve data even from the lost or undetected Windows drive partitions and RAID volumes.
- The ‘Can’t Find Drive’ feature lets you search and recover data from missing or deleted drive partitions.
[Additional Reading] Stellar® Recovers Data from Crashed Dell® Storage Server with RAID 5 Configuration
What to do if the system doesn’t identify my RAID 5 drives?
If the system is unable to detect your RAID 5, it indicates severe damage to the drives. In such a case, seek the help of reliable data recovery services, such as Stellar RAID Recovery Services. The experts at Stellar can efficiently restore the data from all RAID configurations. They can reconstruct data from failed or crashed RAID servers with 100% accuracy. They ensure complete confidentiality and privacy of data throughout the data recovery process.
[Additional Reading] Stellar Recovers Data from Physically Failed Netgear® ReadyNAS Configured to RAID 5
Data recovery from RAID 5 with 2 drives failed is challenging if you don’t have a backup. You can use a DIY data recovery tool, such as Stellar Data Recovery Technician, to recover data from RAID drives. The software intelligently detects RAID parameters and allows you to rebuild virtual RAID to restore data from a failed RAID array. If you need experts’ help in recovering data from RAID, you can opt for professional RAID recovery services.