How to recover data from the deleted partition? This post speaks the ways to recover lost partition data and why a professional approach is a viable option.
Partitions are the logical disk that enables users to divide the computer’s hard drive into different partitions. Further, it turns your system into a more secure environment. For instance, you may have at least two partitions of the hard drive – one for operating systems and the other for data so that in case if system crash, then your data is less likely to get affected.
“Special Offer*” on Stellar Data Recovery for Windows Software Activation Key
Stellar Data Recovery for Windows – is globally acclaimed # 1 Data Recovery software. We understand that you are looking for the activation key of the software.
If your drive/storage device is working fine, the software will be able to recover your data. As a special offer, our customer gets a 20% discount on the purchase of a Stellar Data Recovery for Windows.
Use your special code BLOG20 to avail a 20% discount on the software license.
*Offer Valid Till 30th November 2019
What’s the Purpose of a Partition?
Your computer treats each partition as a single drive. Depending on the requirement you can create multiple partitions. Allocate one for system files and others to manage your data files such as pictures, audio, video, and documents etc. Always store your files on a separate partition rather than storing them in separate folders within the single partition. In the case of the system failure, you need to install OS in the primary partition without formatting other partitions.
Another feature of partition is that it allows dual-booting, i.e., you can install multiple operating systems on the same hard drive.
The Most Common Reasons for Partition Loss
We cannot deny the significance of partitions as it increases our productivity and protects our data. However, if something unexpected happens to the partition’s index file, then you won’t be able to access the data on that partition. Sometimes, there are situations when we are unable to access the partition:
- Computer virus intrusion: When the partition is infected by the virus, then the Operating System is unable to locate it. Further, we cannot locate the partition in Disk Management as well.
- Damaged Master Boot Record: Master Boot Record contains information about the partition and includes a table that locates each partition, master boot code, and disk signature.
- Partition is hidden/drive letter is missing: If a partition has not been allocated a drive letter, then it remains hidden from Operating System. Also, if the assigned drive letter is changed, then accessing it with the previous letter runs an error.
Figure 1: illustrates the drive letter
- Partition becomes RAW: This is the case when the partition is not formatted with the file system.
- Access is denied to the partition: This error indicates that you don’t have access to the partition. To have permission to access the content of the partition, you need its ownership.
Figure 2: illustrates Access is denied
- Partition shows unallocated space: This is the error when the partition has data; still, it shows unallocated space.
- File directory becomes corrupt and unreadable: This error occurs when the MFT (Master File Table) is damaged.
Figure 3: illustrates the inaccessible drive
- Accidental deletion of partition: Accidental deletion of the partition is also one of the reasons for partition lost.
Figure 4: illustrates accidentally deleted partition
What to do to recover lost partitions?
Your prime concern is to recover lost partition data, but there are certain things that you should consider:
- Do not perform further operations as the more you mess with the hard drive more are the chances of overwriting it, and less will be the chance of recovering data.
- Don’t format the disk thinking that it may bring back things to normal again. Formatting the partition only reduces the probability of recovering lost partition data.
- Abstain from hit and trial methods as they can make the matter worse (permanently deleting your files) if done inappropriately.
How can you recover lost partition data?
If you are unable to find the partition in Windows Explorer, then you can check Disk Management.
Go to Control Panel, then click on Administrative Tools, after that click on Computer Management and locate the partition.
If the partition is there without the drive letter, then it means only the drive letter is missing, and you can access the partition again by assigning the drive letter.
Figure 5: illustrates the disk management
Run Chkdsk Command
Chkdsk checks and repairs error such as directory errors, cross-linked files, lost clusters, etc. To run Chkdsk, follow these steps:
- Search CMD in a windows search box and then Run Command Prompt as administrator
- In the cmd window, type ‘chkdsk E: /f where ‘E’ is the drive letter and ‘f’ fixes errors on the disk
Note – chkdsk is not useful in case of RAW Partition error.
Once the process is complete, chkdsk repairs errors; however, this command-line is not preferable when you want to recover lost partition data.
Recover Lost Partition Data
Always use reliable and trusted windows data recovery software to recover your data.
Note: When you want to recover data from the lost partition, it is critical not to write anything on that partition. Always install the partition data recovery software on a separate drive.
Follow the below steps to recover data from deleted partitions using the software:
1: Download and install Windows Data Recovery Software.
2: Launch the software
3: Select what you want to recover
4: Click Next
5: Select ‘Can’t Find Drive’ option
6: Select the desired partition and then click on Scan
8: After completing the scan, you can preview all the files on the left side of the window.
9: Select the files you want to recover and click “Save.”
Data Recovery Service can help you to recover data from lost partition
Also, if the situation is severe and your data is critical, then you can take the help of a data recovery services provider. Stellar Data Recovery is one such name that has helped its clients in the recovery of their data. It is ISO 9001:2015 & ISO 27001:2013 certified company. They have always committed to bring in top-of-the-line products and services to its customers in pan India. It is a Microsoft Gold ISV Partner and is the ideal choice to recover data from lost partition.
Partition helps you manage your files in a much better way. Besides, you can create, format and assign new drive letters to the partition without worrying about the risk of losing your data. Above all, ensure to have a backup of your important data.