|Summary: Accidental quick formatting of the hard drive may lead to loss of important data. To stop any further damage to the files after a quick format, stop using the disk and avoid overwriting. In this blog, we’ve discussed the methods to recover data from a formatted hard drive.
Imagine a scenario where you accidentally quickly formatted the external hard drive, resulting in the deletion of all your data on the drive. This might be a panicky situation for you, but there is no need to worry as there are ways to recover data from a formatted hard drive. The first thing to do in such a situation is to stop using the quick formatted hard drive as the data will be overwritten and permanently erased, decreasing the chances for data recovery.
What is Quick Format?
Quick format is a fast and simple method to erase/delete data from any storage device. It removes files from the partition without scanning the disk for bad sectors. When you quick format a hard drive or any other storage device, it overwrites the file system on the drive. In the process, it creates a new master boot record (MBR) that has information about the contents of the storage device, resulting in inaccessible data.
The reasons users perform quick format include:
- To remove all the data stored on the storage device.
- To change the file system type.
What is the difference between Quick Format and Full Format?
In full format, files are completely erased from the volume you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors. Quick format, on the other hand, is easy and less time-consuming and removes files from the partition without scanning the disk for bad sectors.
Can you recover data after a quick format of hard drive?
You can recover data after a quick format of the hard drive. However, make sure that you use quick format only if your hard disk has been previously formatted, and you are sure that your hard disk is not damaged.
What makes it possible to recover data from a quick formatted hard drive?
You can recover data after a quick format because:
- Quick formatting only removes data entries.
- Unlike full format, it does not overwrite the data.
- It only rebuilds the file system.
- The data is still available in the memory location.
- Only data details are erased from the directory.
How to Recover Data from Quick Format Hard Drive?
Here are the solutions to recover data from a hard drive after a quick format.
Solution 1: Use Stellar Windows Data Recovery Software
Stellar Windows data recovery software is DIY software that can recover lost data from a quick formatted hard drive. With the help of the Stellar Data Recovery software, you can recover data lost due to logical issues, such as accidental deletion, corruption in the drive, or formatting of the hard drive. The software is easy to use and guarantees 100 percent safety and security.
Follow the steps below to recover data by using Stellar Windows Data Recovery software:
- Run the software and from the main interface select the type of data to be recovered.
- Now, from the next window choose the drive from where the data was formatted and click scan.
- Wait for scanning to get completed. Also, if data to be recovered is not displayed by quick scan, select deep scan option for complete data.
- After completion of scanning a list of recovered data will be displayed. Preview the files you want to recover/restore and then click on Recover data.
To recover free data upto 1 GB Stellar also offers its free data recovery software to recover files after a Quick Format of Hard Drive for free.
Why should you choose Stellar Data Recovery Software?
- It’s automated.
- It’s easy to execute.
- It requires minimal manual intervention.
What should you know before you opt for Stellar Data Recovery Software?
- It comes with a price tag.
- It works only in logical data loss situations.
Solution 2: Seek the Help of Data Recovery Service
You can take the help of data recovery service providers to recover data from a quick formatted hard drive works. Currently, there are many data recovery service providers in the market, but Stellar Data Recovery with more than 25 years of experience, offers world-class data recovery services for all internal/external hard drives and removable devices.
Why should you choose a data recovery service?
- It ensures the security and confidentiality of data.
- It caters to both physical and logical failures of hard drives.
- Stellar Data Recovery Service is reliable because the experts handle your damaged drives in Class 100 Clean Room Lab with utmost care.
What should you know before you opt for Stellar Data Recovery Service?
- Sometimes, it takes more time than anticipated to retrieve data from a damaged/formatted/corrupted drive. It usually depends on the size and condition of the device.
[Note: Remember to take a backup of your data on a regular basis to avoid data loss.]
Additional Reading: How to recover files after format Windows 10?
A quick format of a hard drive deletes all the files, but it does not fully erase the files. If you have accidentally formatted a drive, the data on it can be recovered with the right data recovery tools available in the market. In this blog, we have looked at the common methods to recover data from a quick formatted drive. You can either choose a data recovery software or go for a data recovery service.