|Summary: Have you encountered an unanticipated error code 0xc00d36c4 while playing your video file? In this post, we are going to discuss the causes behind this error and some effective ways to troubleshoot this error. |
To fix 0xc00d36c4 error in video files you can also use powerful video repair software. Download the free version NOW!!
“I have transferred some movies from DVD to a USB media. When I try to open those movies on USB, they are not opening and show the error 0xc00d36c4 code. I also tried to play them on the Movies & TV app, Windows Media Player, and VLC media player, but still face the same issue. Any idea how to troubleshoot this error?
“I have upgraded my PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. When I am playing my AVI files, a message appears – “This file isn’t playable” with a 0xc00d36c4 error code. I am unable to open the videos. Can you please suggest a way to resolve this issue?”
If you’re in a similar situation and encountering the 0xc00d36c4 error while playing your videos, there is no need to worry. In this post, you will find some effective solutions to resolve this error.
Check Here For: How to fix grainy video?
What is 0xc00d36c4 Error Code?
The error 0xc00d36c4 is associated with the use of the video files. Usually, it appears after the Windows upgrade or when you try to play the video directly on the external media, like DVD or USB flash drive.
Causes of Error- 0xc00d36c4
Apart from Windows updates, there are many other reasons that may cause “Error 0xc00d36c4”. Some of them are explained below:
– The display adapter is outdated.
– Inaccurate File Extension.
– Video File has turned out to be corrupt.
– Controllers/Drivers are not updated.
– Existing file is not supported by Media Player.
However, there are some other factors that may lead to such an error, such as:
- Media player is not compatible with the file format
- Wrong codecs
- System drivers are not updated
- Copy Protection feature is enabled in Windows Media Player
- Virus attack on the system or the external storage media
How to Fix 0xc00d36c4 Error in Video Files?
There are multiple ways to fix the 0xc00d36c4 error. Let’s discuss some effective workarounds to fix this error.
|Solutions to Fix 0xc00d36c4 Error ||Steps to Follow |
|Use Any Other Media Player (Preferably VLC Player) ||Download VLC Media Player > Launch it > Navigate to the affected video file … Read More |
|Download and Install the Missing Codecs ||Open Windows Media Player > Go to the Tools tab > Options … Read More |
|Change the Video File Format ||Launch VLC Media Player > Go to the Media tab > Convert/Save … Read More |
|Transfer the Video Files to Local Drive ||Go to your External Device > Copy (Ctrl+C) the Problematic Video File > Go to Local Drive … Read More |
|Disable Copy Protection Feature of Windows Media Player ||Open Windows Media Player > Go to the Organize tab > Options … Read More |
|Remove and Reinstall all USB Controllers ||Press Windows + X Keys > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers … Read More |
|Update the Display Adapter Driver ||Press Windows + X Keys > Device Manager > Right-click on your driver … Read More |
|Utilize Professional Video Repair Software ||Launch the software > Add File > Select the video to be repaired … Read More |
|Use AVI Repair Tool in VLC Media Player ||Open VLC Media Player > Tools > Preferences … Read More |
Use Any Other Media Player (Preferably VLC Player)
Generally, the error 0xc00d36c4 occurs due to an unsupported file format or codec. So, the simplest solution is to try to open the video file in some other media player. VLC player is recommended since it is the most versatile player that supports various file formats. All you need to do is download and install the VLC media player and try to open the affected video file using the VLC media player.
If the VLC player doesn’t work, you can try other media players, like KMPlayer, QuickTime, Windows Media Player, Winamp, Windows Media Center, etc.
Download and Install the Missing Codecs
If one or more compatible codecs are not installed on your PC, this error is bound to pop up. To fix this error, you need to download the supported codecs for that specific file format.
You can go with the professional third-party vendor to download the required codec packs on your system. However, if you have the Windows Media Player, you can follow the below steps to download codecs automatically.
- Go to Tools > Options > Player.
- Check the “Download codecs automatically” checkbox and click on OK.
- When you get a prompt for confirmation, click on the Install button.
Now, you can play your video file without any hiccup.
Change the Video File Format
When the media player you are using is not compatible with your file format, converting it into a viable format always works. You can go online and choose a reliable online video converter to change the file format. Alternatively, you can use the VLC player to do it. Follow the below steps:
- Open your video file with VLC Media Player.
- Go to the “Media” tab and choose the “Convert/Save” option.
- In the next window, add input files or streams that are required to be transcoded.
- Then, click on “Convert’/Save”.
- In the Convert wizard, click on “Browse” to provide the file name and location.
- Here, you need to add a profile or Edit the selected Profile. The “wrench” icon is there to add or edit the profile settings.
- Click on “Start” to initiate the conversion process. Your converted video file will be saved at the desired location.
Transfer your Video Files to Local Drive
Often, playing the video file from the external media can be the cause behind the 0xc00d36c4 error. To fix the issue, you can copy (CTRL + C) your unplayable video file from the external storage and paste (CTRL + V) it on a drive on your system.
If you still can’t play the video file, move that file to the default Windows Music Library. This library is in the local disk drive (Drive C). Now, try opening your video file. This workaround has worked for many users.
Also Check Methods to repair Corrupt MKV Video Files.
Disable the Copy Protection Feature of Windows Media Player
If the error 0xc00d36c4 is popping up repeatedly when you are trying to play the DVD/CD or mobile phone music on your PC, the “Copy Protection” feature is the reason behind this issue. To resolve the issue, turn off the “Copy Protection” feature of Windows Media Player by following the below instructions:
- Open Windows Media Player.
- Click on the “Organize” tab on the top-left corner.
- Click on “Options” from the dropdown menu.
- Select the “Rip Music” tab.
- Simply uncheck the “Copy protect music” and click on “OK” to apply the changes.
Now, try playing the music from DVD/CD or any external device. This error won’t appear.
Remove and Reinstall all USB Controllers
At times, the conflict between the PC and the connected external media storage is the root cause behind the 0xc00d36c4 error. To fix it, you need to remove all existing USB controllers and reinstall them. Here are the steps to do so:
- Press Windows + X keys and select “Device Manager”.
- Now, search for “Universal Serial Bus controllers”. Expand it by double-clicking on it.
- Right-click on each USB device one-by-one under expanded USB controllers and click on “Uninstall”.
- Once the USB controllers are uninstalled, restart your PC. The USB controllers will be re-installed.
Now, connect the USB device to your PC and try playing the video file once again.
Update the Display Adapter Driver
The 0xc00d36c4 error can also occur due to hardware conflicts. If this is the case, you can update the drivers to resolve the issue. Follow the given steps:
- Press Windows + X keys and go to “Device Manager”.
- Then, right-click on your driver and click on “Update Driver Software”.
- Now, click on “Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software”.
Tip: If the existing driver is up-to-date, then uninstall the current driver and reinstall it.
Note: If none of these methods works, it indicates that the video file is corrupt. You can repair the video file using a video repair software, like Stellar Repair for Video for any video file or VLC Media Player for AVI file.
Utilize Professional Video Repair Software
Stellar Repair for Video is one such software that can repair corrupted video file and help resolve the 0xc00d36c4 error. It is a user-friendly, do-it-yourself software that can repair all types of videos, such as game files from Xbox, videos on a USB player or hard drive, videos exported from editing software, and more. Just like 0xc00d36c4 error sometimes users also face 0xc00d36e5 error in video files but however Stellar Repair for Video is an advanced video repair tool which can also fix 0xc00d36e5 error in video files.
Follow these steps to repair your corrupt video files.
- Launch the software and click on “Add File” to add the corrupt video file.
Fig: Main Interface of Stellar Repair for Video
- Select files that you want to repair and click on “Repair”.
Fig: Corrupt Video Files being Repaired
- Preview the repaired video files and click on “Save Repaired Files”.
Fig: Preview and save Repaired video files.
Use AVI Repair Tool in VLC Media Player
The free VLC Media Player has the AVI repair feature embedded in it. You can repair the AVI file and try fixing the 0xc00d36c4 error in AVI video files. If it is not AVI, you can rename the file to AVI and then repair it using VLC Media Player.
Special Tip: Create a copy of the original AVI video file and then repair the copy.
Follow the below steps to repair the AVI file in VLC.
- Rename the file (if it is not the AVI file).
- Launch the VLC Media Player.
- Click on the Tools tab on the top of the VLC.
- Select “Preferences > Input or Codecs” from the dropdown menu.
- Select “Always Fix” across Repair AVI files.
- Finally, click on “Save”.
In a Nutshell
The 0xc00d36c4 error may pop up due to unsupported codec or file format, hardware/software conflicts, or outdated drivers/USB controllers. The above-mentioned effective methods can help you resolve this issue and enable you to play the video files smoothly.
If you still face the 0xc00d36c4 error, it means that your video file is corrupt. In that case, you can use a video repair software, like Stellar Repair for Video. This tool has a successful track record of repairing video files that throw 0xc00d36c4 error code while playing.