|Summary: In this blog, we’ve discussed the reasons that may result in a corrupt or damaged MKV file. We’ve outlined some effective workarounds to resolve the issue. We’ve also mentioned about a reliable video repair software which works as a MKV file repair software to easily fix broken, unplayable, corrupt MKV files, MP4, MOV, and AVI files. |
To understand the functionality of the software download the free demo version of Stellar Repair for Video available for both mac and Windows users.
User 1. I have recently downloaded movies from the internet. They are in MKV file format. When I tried playing them on media players like VLC, GOM, KMPlayer, BSPlayer, etc., the movies didn’t play. However, I am able to play other video files without any issue. It’s just the downloaded MKV files that are unplayable. What can I do to repair corrupt MKV video files?
User 2. I’ve recently updated my system to Windows 10. After the update, the MKV video files are not playing smoothly (dropping much fps). I tried playing them using every video player that I know of, but the MKV videos fail to play smoothly on any of them. Is it possible to repair the corrupt video files?
These are a few MKV file related issues reported by the users on different forums. If you’re also facing similar problems, i.e. unplayable MKV files, corrupt MKV video, audio or video parts missing or not in sync, and blurry or pixelated video, this post will help you understand the root cause of the problem and resolve it effectively.
Check Here For: How to fix grainy video?
Table of Content
Reasons for Unplayable MKV File
An MKV file is a multimedia container format, which can incorporate video, audio, and subtitles into a single file, even if these elements have different encoding. There are various reasons that may result in an unplayable MKV file. Some common ones are:
- The player doesn’t support the MKV file.
- There are problems with the system/device on which you’re trying to play the file.
- The MKV video file is corrupt.
- Absence of supporting Codecs.
- Outdated video drivers.
- Bad sectors on the hard drive.
- Downloaded video files from unreliable websites or sources.
Quick Fix to Repair MKV File
If your MKV video is unplayable, try playing it with a different media player, such as VLC, KMPlayer, or any other player which supports a wide range of file types and codecs. If this doesn’t work, use a different system for playing the video.
If the video is still unplayable, it indicates that the MKV file is corrupt or damaged.
|[TIP]: Repair corrupt MKV files by using a trusted and effective video repair tool, such as Stellar Repair for Video. This tool can easily fix corrupt MKV files, regardless of the reason and severity of the corruption. |
Reasons for MKV File Corruption
Some common reasons that may result in the corruption of MKV files include:
- Technical Problems While Recording: Any technical glitch while shooting or saving the video may result in file corruption. For instance, creating and saving the video with the device running low on battery may damage the file.
- Video File Downloaded from Unreliable Source: Sometimes, an incomplete download or downloading the MKV file from an unreliable source could lead to corruption.
- Interruption during File Transfer: Unsafe removal of storage media, while the MKV file is being copied to another device may also damage the file- Repair Corrupt Video File due to File Transfer Error
- Malware Infection: Malware can corrupt an MKV video, making it unplayable or causing other problems to the video. A file stored on a malware-infected system may also get corrupted.
If you’re facing error 0xc00d36e5 in your videos then check here for methods to fix 0xc00d36e5 error in Videos
Workarounds to repair corrupt MKV video files
If your MKV video files are unplayable, the reason may not always be corruption. Try the following workarounds before moving onto repairing the corrupt MKV videos.
- Update the Video Drivers: Outdated video driver is one of the reasons for unplayable video files. If your video card drivers are not updated, immediately update them and try to play the MKV file again.
- Download Supporting Codecs: Not all media players support the MKV format. The absence of compatible codecs can lead to glitches while playing the MKV files. In that case, you can either play the MKV file in a media player that has compatible codecs or download the MKV-compatible codecs.
Download the MKV File Again: Incomplete video download or interruption during download can corrupt MKV files. In such a case, download the MKV video file again from the same source
Also Read: Solutions to “Error Loading Media File Could Not Be Played”
Methods to Repair MKV File
If the above workarounds don’t work, it means that the MKV file is corrupt. You can repair the corrupt MKV video file by following the methods mentioned below:
1. Fix Corrupt MKV File With VLC Media Player
You can fix minor corruption and other issues in MKV files with the VLC media player. Here are the steps to do so:
- Change the MKV file extension to .avi.
- Launch the VLC player and then go to Tools >> Preferences >> Inputs/Codecs settings.
- In the Inputs/Codecs settings window, choose “Always Fix” Damaged or incomplete AVI file.
If you’re unable to fix the MKV file with the VLC media player, the only option to repair the file is by using trusted software, such as Stellar Repair for Video.
2. Fix Corrupt, Damaged, or Unplayable MKV Video with Stellar Repair for Video
Stellar Video Repair software is a powerful, reliable, and easy-to-use software to repair corrupt MKV video files.
Key features of Stellar Repair for Video
- Repairs multiple MKV videos at one go.
- Gives you the option to preview the repaired file before saving.
- Fixes severely corrupt MKV files.
- Repairs files recovered from a corrupt drive.
- Not only this with the help of stellar repair for the video you can also repair the MOV file index.
Step to repair corrupt MKV files by using Stellar Repair for Video 6.5
Download, install, and launch the software. Then follow the below simple steps:
Step 1: Add corrupt video files
Add the unplayable or corrupt MKV files which you want to repair
Fig 1: Main Interface of Stellar Repair for Video
Step 2: Select the Repair Option
Now from the next interface of the software hit the Repair option to repair the corrupt or damaged files.
Fig 2: Corrupt/Damaged video files getting repaired
Step 3: Save Repaired Videos
Once the process is complete, preview the video/s. Click Save Repaired File to save the videos at your desired location.
Fig 3: Save Repaired video files at the desired location
Note: Free demo version of Stellar Repair for Video is only for evaluation. In order to save the repaired videos you need to have the activation key of stellar repair for video, which can be easily purchased either from the buy now page or from the get it now option from the software.
Also Read: Free Video Repair Tool to Repair Damaged Videos
Stellar Effective Video Repair Tool with Powerful Features:
- Fixes All Video Corruption Issues
- ‘Advance Repair’ for Severely Corrupt Videos
- Repairs Multiple Videos Simultaneously
- Allows Multi-Tasking with Dual Monitor Support
- Preview the Repaired Videos
- Easy & User-Friendly Interface
Also Read: Download Free Video Repair Tool To Repair Damaged/ Corrupted Videos
Tips to Prevent MKV Video Corruption
- Always use reliable antivirus software to prevent viruses or malware from affecting your files.
- Get a reliable power backup to ensure an adequate and steady power supply during the download, transfer, or conversion of MKV files.
- Get a reliable and stable internet connection to avoid any interruption during the download of MKV files.
MKV files may get damaged or corrupted because of a number of reasons. One of the easiest ways to repair MKV files is by using the VLC media player. However, if you’re unable to fix the MKV file with a VLC player, use safe and effective video repair software, such as Stellar Repair for Video to fix your video files and play them flawlessly.
1. How can we Repair the MKV video file online for free?
MKV is a video container format that has been specifically designed for high-quality videos. Its lossless encoding makes it popular among audiences who want their favorite films preserved in an uncompromised way, even when they’re played back on devices with fewer capabilities like smartphones or tablets. MKVs multiple streams allow viewers to have access not only through one stream but many at once; this means you’ll be able to see EVERY SINGLE STEP OF YOUR FAVOURITE MOVIE ALIVE AND IN DEFIANCE!
Instead of throwing away your favorite movies because they are corrupt, you can fix them with the help of an easy-to-use program. One such tool is called Stellar MKV Video Repair Tool which allows users to recover lost video data and re-create playable files!
2. What to do in case MKV files do not open in the VLC player?
MKV files are becoming more and more popular due to their high video and audio quality. However, MKV files are not always compatible with media players like VLC. If you’re having trouble playing MKV files on VLC, there are a few things you can try. First, make sure you have the latest version of VLC installed. If you’re still having trouble, try converting the MKV file to another format using a video converter tool. You can also try downloading an MKV codec pack. These packs often include multiple codecs, which can help improve compatibility with media players. If you’re still having trouble, you can also try changing the file extension from MKV to AVI. This sometimes helps with playback issues. Lastly, if none of these solutions work, you may need to contact the developer of the MKV file for help.
3. Why some MKV files cannot play?
If you are having a tough time playing your MKV file, it is possible that the format isn’t supported. As such we will explore each one of these reasons quickly:
- If you’re having trouble playing an MKV file, one possibility is that the format isn’t supported.
- The missing codecs could be due to a conflict between settings in VLC.
- Incorrect audio/video specs might mean the player is outdated.
- Obsolete files may be corrupted and unreadable over time.
4. Are MKV files compatible with Windows 10/11 OS?
MKV files are easily played on the latest versions of Windows 10 and 11. Windows 10 and 11 bring native MKV support, making it easy to play videos without installing third-party codecs like Haali Media Splitter.