|Summary: In this blog, we’ve discussed the reasons that may result in a corrupt or damaged MKV file. We’ve outlined some effective workarounds to resolve the issue. We’ve also mentioned about a reliable video repair software which works as a MKV file repair software to easily fix broken, unplayable, and corrupt MKV files. |
To understand the functionality of the software download the free demo version of Stellar Repair for Video available for both mac and Windows users.
User 1. I have recently downloaded movies from the internet. They are in MKV file format. When I tried playing them on media players like VLC, GOM, KMPlayer, BSPlayer, etc., the movies didn’t play. However, I am able to play other video files without any issue. It’s just the downloaded MKV files that are unplayable. What can I do to repair corrupt MKV video files?
User 2. I’ve recently updated my system to Windows 10. After the update, the MKV video files are not playing smoothly (dropping much fps). I tried playing them using every video player that I know of, but the MKV videos fail to play smoothly on any of them. Is it possible to repair the corrupt video files?
These are a few MKV file related issues reported by the users on different forums. If you’re also facing similar problems, i.e. unplayable MKV files, corrupt MKV video, audio or video parts missing or not in sync, and blurry or pixelated video, this post will help you understand the root cause of the problem and resolve it effectively.
Check Here For: How to fix grainy video?
Table of Content
Reasons for Unplayable MKV File
An MKV file is a multimedia container format, which can incorporate video, audio, and subtitles into a single file, even if these elements have different encoding. There are various reasons that may result in an unplayable MKV file. Some common ones are:
- The player doesn’t support the MKV file.
- There are problems with the system/device on which you’re trying to play the file.
- The MKV video file is corrupt.
- Absence of supporting Codecs.
- Outdated video drivers.
- Bad sectors on the hard drive.
Quick Fix to Repair MKV File
If your MKV video is unplayable, try playing it with a different media player, such as VLC, KMPlayer, or any other player which supports a wide range of file types and codecs. If this doesn’t work, use a different system for playing the video.
If the video is still unplayable, it indicates that the MKV file is corrupt or damaged.
|[TIP]: Repair corrupt MKV file by using a trusted and effective video repair tool, such as Stellar Repair for Video. This tool can easily fix corrupt MKV files, regardless of the reason and severity of corruption. |
Reasons for MKV File Corruption
Some common reasons that may result in corruption of MKV files include:
- Technical Problems While Recording: Any technical glitch while shooting or saving the video may result in file corruption. For instance, creating and saving the video with the device running low on battery may damage the file.
- Video File Downloaded from Unreliable Source: Sometimes, incomplete download or downloading the MKV file from an unreliable source could lead to corruption.
- Interruption during File Transfer: Unsafe removal of storage media, while the MKV file is being copied to another device may also damage the file.
- Malware Infection: Malware can corrupt an MKV video, making it unplayable or cause other problems to the video. A file stored on a malware-infected system may also get corrupt.
If you’re facing error 0xc00d36e5 in your videos then check here for methods to fix 0xc00d36e5 error in Videos
Workarounds to repair corrupt MKV video files
If your MKV video files are unplayable, the reason may not always be corruption. Try the following workarounds before moving onto repair the corrupt MKV videos.
- Update the Video Drivers: Outdated video driver is one of the reasons for unplayable video files. If your video card drivers are not updated, immediately update them and try to play the MKV file again.
- Download Supporting Codecs: Not all media players support MKV format. Absence of compatible codecs can lead to glitches while playing the MKV files. In that case, you can either play the MKV file in a media player that has compatible codecs or download the MKV compatible codecs.
Download the MKV File Again: Incomplete video download or interruption during download can corrupt MKV files. In such a case, download the MKV video file again from the same source
Methods to Repair MKV File
If the above workarounds don’t work, it means that the MKV file is corrupt. You can repair the corrupt MKV video file by following the methods mentioned below:
1. Fix Corrupt MKV File With VLC Media Player
You can fix minor corruption and other issues in MKV files with VLC media player. Here are the steps to do so:
- Change the MKV file extension to .avi.
- Launch VLC player and then go to Tools >> Preferences >> Inputs/Codecs settings.
- In the Inputs/Codecs settings window, choose “Always Fix” Damaged or incomplete AVI file.
If you’re unable to fix the MKV file with VLC media player, the only option to repair the file is by using a trusted software, such as Stellar Repair for Video.
2. Fix Corrupt, Damaged, or Unplayable MKV Video with Stellar Repair for Video
Stellar Video Repair software is a powerful, reliable, and easy-to-use software to repair corrupt MKV video files.
Key features of Stellar Repair for Video
- Repairs multiple MKV videos at one go.
- Gives you an option to preview the repaired file before saving.
- Fixes severely corrupt MKV files.
- Repairs files recovered from a corrupt drive.
- Not only this with the help of stellar repair for video you can also repair MOV file index.
Step to repair corrupt MKV files by using Stellar Repair for Video 220.127.116.11
Download, install, and launch the software. Then follow the below simple steps:
Step 1: Add corrupt video files
Add the unplayable or corrupt MKV files which you want to repair
Fig 1: Main Interface of Stellar Repair for Video
Step 2: Select Repair Option
Now from the next interface of software hit the Repair option to repair the corrupt or damaged files.
Fig 2: Corrupt/Damaged video files getting repaired
Step 3: Save Repaired Videos
Once the process is complete, preview the video/s. Click Save Repaired File to save the videos at your desired location.
Fig 3: Save Repaired video files at desired location
Note: Free demo version of Stellar Repair for Video is only for evaluation. In order to save the repaired videos you need to have activation key of stellar repair for video, which can be easily purchased either from the buy now page or from the get it now option from the software.
Tips to Prevent MKV Video Corruption
- Always use a reliable antivirus software to prevent viruses or malwares from affecting your files.
- Get a reliable power backup to ensure adequate and steady power supply during the download, transfer, or conversion of MKV files.
- Get a reliable and stable internet connection to avoid any interruption during the download of MKV files.
MKV files may get damaged or corrupted because of a number of reasons. One of the easiest ways to repair MKV files is by using the VLC media player. However, if you’re unable to fix the MKV file with VLC player, use a safe and effective video repair software, such as Stellar Repair for Video to fix your video files and play them flawlessly.