Summary: External hard drives are one of the most useful data storage devices. These devices are not just used for data backup purposes, but also make it easy to carry a huge volume of data as they’re portable. These external hard drives are offered by many popular brands. One such brand is Seagate, which offers external hard drives in different sizes and storage capacities. Seagate hard drives are reliable and can store a huge volume of data, depending on the storage capacity.
Sometimes, you face a situation when your Seagate external hard drive becomes undetected on the computer. If you have an undetected Seagate external hard drive and looking for solutions to fix the issue, you’ve landed on the right page. In this post, we’ve mentioned the fixes to resolve the undetected Seagate external hard drive issue and ways to recover data from an undetected hard drive.
इस पोस्ट को हिंदी में पढ़ने के लिए यहां क्लिक करें।
Table of Content :
But before moving further, let’s know the reasons behind an undetected Seagate external hard drive. Some common reasons are:
- Bad USB Port: If the USB port of the computer or laptop isn’t working, it won’t detect your Seagate hard disk. If you are using a USB hub, check if there is a problem with it.
- Virus Infection: If you aren’t using a good antivirus, your Seagate external hard drive may get infected with viruses or malware. This can also make the hard drive undetected by the computer.
- Data Corruption: Sudden power outage during data transfer can corrupt the data on the external hard drive and make the device inaccessible.
- Physical Damage: A hard drive has various delicate internal elements and parts. These parts are sensitive to jerks and physical impacts and can break easily. There is a read/write head that writes data on a magnetic platter. If in case the read/write head or the magnetic platter is damaged, the hard drive won’t work and becomes undetected.
How to Fix an Undetected Seagate External Hard Drive?
Follow the given solutions to fix an undetected Seagate external hard drive.
Solution 1: Use a Different USB Port
Sometimes, due to a faulty USB port, your Seagate external hard drive is not detected by the system. So, try a different USB port for the hard drive. If you are using one at the front of the CPU cabinet, you can switch to the one at the back. You can also try to connect your Seagate external hard drive to another system to check if the issue is with the USB port.
Solution 2: Reinstall the USB Driver
Sometimes, a computer doesn’t recognize an external hard disk because of a corrupt or outdated USB driver. You can uninstall and reinstall the same by following these simple steps:
1. Go to “Search bar” and type “Run” to locate and launch the “Run” app.
2. Type “devmgmt.msc” and click “OK”. It will open the “Device Manager.”
3. Find “Universal Serial Bus Controllers” in the list of devices displayed and click on the arrow icon to expand it further.
4. Right-click the first USB controller and select “Uninstall”.
5. Repeat the steps for all the remaining USB controllers.
6. Restart the computer. The system will reinstall the USB drivers automatically.
Solution 3: Enable “Show Hidden Devices”
If your Seagate external hard drive is “hidden,” it will show undetected on the computer. You can change the hidden device’s settings by following these steps:
1. Go to “Search bar” and enter “Run” to locate and launch the “Run” app.
2. Type “devmgmt.msc” and click “OK”. This will open “Device Manager.”
3. Click “View” on the top and select “Show hidden”.
4. If there are any grey-out entries, right-click and select “Uninstall”.
5. Restart the computer and try to connect the hard drive.
Solution 4: Turn on the USB Root Hub
At times, the external hard drive becomes undetected when multiple devices attached to the same USB hub go into the condition of selective suspend. To resolve this issue, you can try enabling the USB root hub by following these steps:
1. Go to “Search bar” and enter “Run” to locate and launch the “Run” app.
2. Type “devmgmt.msc” and click “OK”. This will open the “Device Manager.”
3. Right-click on “USB Root Hub,” select “properties”, and then “power management.” Uncheck the option that says “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”.
4. Repeat the uncheck method for all the remaining USB Root Hubs (if there are any).
5. Restart the computer and see if the issue is resolved.
How to Recover Data from Undetected Seagate External Hard Drive?
1. Use Data Recovery Software
If your Seagate external hard drive becomes inaccessible due to logical errors such as data corruption or malware infection, you can use specialized data recovery software such as Stellar Windows Data Recovery. This DIY software is 100 percent safe and secure.
2. Seek Data Recovery Services
If the problem is due to hardware damage, the only way to get back the data is by seeking the help of the Seagate Hard Drive Recovery services provider. Stellar is one of the trusted hard drive recovery services providers that can help you recover all the data from undetected Seagate external drive.
Note: Do not open your hard drive in an uncontrolled environment. Even if just a few dust particles stick to the magnetic platter or the read/write head, it can damage the data permanently.
Why Stellar Data Recovery Services?
Stellar is an ISO 9001:2015 & ISO 27001:2013 certified organization that offers 100 percent safe and reliable data recovery services for all types of hard disk drives. The data recovery experts at Stellar works in a world-class lab environment to ensure risk-free and guaranteed data recovery. Stellar has a track record of recovering data from more than 10,000 Seagate external hard drives of different make and models.
If your hard drive is still under warranty period, you can check how to claim a replacement of a hard drive during data recovery.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques: The hard drive is not detectable in “My Computer” or “Disk Management”. How can I fix the issue and recover my data?
Ans: Sometimes, the external hard drive may not appear in “My Computer” and “Disk Management” due to various reasons. In such a scenario, try the above-mentioned solutions to fix the undetected hard drive issue. If the drive is still not showing, you can contact Stellar Data Recovery services.
Ques: My hard drive is not detecting. Can I recover data with the help of software?
Ans: If you want to recover the data by using software such as Stellar Data Recovery, ensure that the drive is detectable on the system. If the drive does not show on the system, then the data recovery software will be unable to read the drive for recovery. You can try the “Can’t Find Drive” option in the software to recover the data from the hard drive. But if it is still invisible, you can approach Stellar Data Recovery services.
Ques: What are the common reasons behind the ‘hard drive not showing in Disk Management’ issue?
Ans: Here are some common reasons that may result in the hard drive not showing in Disk Management:
- Faulty SATA cable.
- Windows is unable to find ATA devices.
- A hard disk drive is corrupt or damaged.
- A hard drive is marked as “Unknown, Not Initialized.”
- Drive is outdated or is not compatible with the operating system.
- The disk is not enabled in the BIOS or device manager.
Ques: How to recover data from Raw Drive or Raw Partition?
Ans: If you are receiving the below-mentioned prompts/error signals on your computer or hard drive partition, it means that your hard drive has become RAW or is having some partition problem.
- Invalid media type reading drive.
- The file system is displayed as “RAW”.
- Hard drive “Sector not found” prompts.
- Warning message: “Disk not formatted. Do you want to format it?”
- File names contain strange characters.
If you encounter the above errors and are looking for Raw Hard Drive Recovery, you can directly approach a data recovery service provider to recover your data.