|Summary: This blog post will help you understand the reasons behind IMAP error 0x800CCC0E in Outlook. The article also shares the methods to fix IMAP error 0x800CCC0E in Windows. How can Outlook PST Repair software help you when IMAP error 0x800CCC0E occurs due to a corrupt PST file. |
IMAP configured Outlook account may encounter the error ‘0x800CCC0E’ when sending or receiving emails.
When IMAP 0x800CCC0E Error Occurs?
The IMAP error message with error code ‘0x800CCC0E’ can pop up in these two formats:
1. Task Checking for new mail in subscribed folders on your_account.com reported an error (0x800CCC0E): ‘Outlook cannot download folder INBOX from the IMAP e-mail server for account email@example.com. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue receiving this message, contact your server administrator or Internet Service Provider (ISP)’.
2. “2 of 4 Tasks have completed successfully….! Task ‘Synchronizing subscribed folders for your_account.com’ reported an error (0x800CCC0E): Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for your_account.com. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue receiving this message, contact your server administrator or Internet Service Provider (ISP)”.
What causes and solutions of Outlook Error 0x800CCC0E in Windows?
Cause 1 – Internet connectivity issue
Sometimes due to poor or no internet connection, you might receive an error message that states Outlook error 0x800CCC0E cannot connect to the server.
Solution – Make sure that your device is connected to the Internet.
Also, verify that your Outlook application is not set to work offline (as shown in the screenshot below).
Cause 2 – Conflict with antivirus software
Anti-virus protection creates a barrier for the incoming/outgoing server.
Solution – You should check your anti-virus manufacturer’s website for suggestions on how you can ensure seamless compatibility between the antivirus software and Outlook.
Cause 3 – Firewall is blocking Outlook
Your firewall may block your Outlook.exe (i.e. the executable file used to launch your mail client) from running. If the ‘.exe’ file is blocked, it cannot contact your mail server.
Solution – Try disabling the firewall rules and check if the ‘0x800CCC0E’ error is fixed.
|[NOTE]: Make sure to enable the firewall rules after completing the task to avoid any security issues in your system. |
Cause 4 – Unwanted and suspicious emails
Solution – Remove all the unwanted and suspicious emails, i.e. the ones coming from unreliable sources from your Outlook account.
Cause 5 – SMTP authentication issue
Some IMAP email accounts use an outgoing SMTP server that requires authentication. You may encounter the IMAP error – 0x800CCC0E when your Outlook application is unable to authenticate the outgoing server (SMTP).
Solution –Turn on SMTP authentication and check if the issue persists.
1. Open Outlook.
2. Click File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
3. In the Account Settings window on the E-mail tab, select an e-mail account and then hit the Change button.
4. In the Add Account window that pops-up, click on the More Settings button.
5. In the Internet Email Settings window, click the Outgoing Server tab.
6. Ensure that the checkbox next to My outgoing server (SMTP) requires the authentication is checked.
7. Click OK and then restart Outlook to check if the issue still persists.
Cause 6 – Incorrect port numbers
You may get error code 0X800CCC0E in outlook due to incorrect port numbers. For instance, if you’ve enabled encryption, but have set the Incoming server (IMAP) port number to a non-encrypted port number 143, or if you have not enabled encryption but have changed the port number to an encrypted port number 993.
Solution – To fix the problem, be sure to change the incoming server port to 143 if you haven’t enabled encryption, or set the port number to 993 if you’ve enabled encryption. To do so, follow these steps:
1. Open Outlook, and click on File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
2. In the Account Settings pop-up window, double-click on the Email Account.
3. In the Change Account pop-up window, click on the More Settings tab, and then click Advanced.
4. In the Internet E-mail Settings window that appears, click on the advanced tab and then set Incoming server (IMAP) port number to 143 (if SSL function is not enabled) or 993 (if SSL/TLS is enabled).
5. Click OK to apply the changes.
Cause 7 – Corrupt Outlook profile
Solution – To check whether your email profile is working correctly or not, create a new profile. If you’re able to send or receive e-mails by using the newly created Outlook profile, then configure the new profile as your default profile. But there are a few limitations associated with this option. Even more, the username of the newly created Outlook profile will be different, which can cause a communication problem.
Cause 8 – Corruption in Outlook data file (PST)
If the above-mentioned manual methods have failed to resolve the error, then it’s very likely that your Personal Folders (.pst) File is corrupt and has become inaccessible.
Solution – Use Microsoft’s in-built Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe) to repair your corrupted or inaccessible PST file. Refer to this link to understand how the tool can be used to fix PST file corruption.
However, the Inbox Repair Tool has several limitations. Some of them are listed below:
- It cannot further fix severely corrupt PST files
- You may also have a problem accessing the recovered data
- Repairing corrupt PST files by using Scanpst.exe can be a lengthy and time-consuming process, hence, as you’ll have to run the tool several times to fully repair the PST file
What if the Inbox Repair Tool does not work for you?
As a result, use Stellar Repair for Outlook to get a faster and more effective repair solution for corrupt PST files, without the limitations of the Inbox Repair Tool. This Outlook PST recovery software helps:
- It also Repairs severely oversized, corrupt, or inaccessible PST files
- Also recovers all mailbox components including deleted emails, attachments, contacts, calendars, tasks, notes, and journals
- Reduces chances of further corruption by compacting and splitting large PSTs
- It also saves the recovered mailbox components in different file formats
- It also has a rich graphical UI that facilitates the DIY PST repair process, without any professional assistance.
You may encounter IMAP error 0x800CCC0E in Outlook due to several reasons such as network connectivity issues, conflict with security applications, corrupt Outlook profile, PST file corruption, etc. Hence, this error resolves by using several manual methods, including disabling anti-virus software and Windows firewall, by verifying Outlook profile, and changing the port number. In case of PST file corruption, try using the Microsoft built-in repair utility ‘Scanpst.exe’. But the Scanpst may fail. In that case, use the Stellar PST recovery tool to scan and repair the corrupt PST files.