|Summary:The Excel keeps crashing issue may occur due to varied reasons. This blog mentions the common reasons that may lead to the Excel file keeps crashing issue. It also lists some easy solutions that may help you resolve the Excel crash issue. If the issue occurs due to corruption in Excel file, it mentions an advanced Excel repair tool to repair the corrupt file. |
MS Excel is no doubt a useful application when it comes to data analysis and documentation. However, sometimes, while opening an Excel file, the application stops working, freezes, or keeps crashing. When this happens, the following error messages may appear on the screen:
- Microsoft Excel has stopped working
- Microsoft Excel is not responding
- A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
This may cause damage to the Excel file (XLS/XLSX) and lead to corruption in the file.
In this post, we’ll discussing the ways to fix the Excel crash issue. But before that, let’s take a look at the reasons that may lead to such an issue.
Possible Causes of the Excel Keep Crashing Issue
The Excel crash issue may occur due to one or more of the reasons listed below:
- Incompatible Add-Ins
- Outdated MS Excel program
- Conflict with other programs or antivirus tool
- Combination of cell formatting and stylings
- Problem with MS Office installation
- Partially damaged or corrupt Excel file
Solutions to Resolve the Excel Crash Issue
Following the troubleshooting methods mentioned below you’ll be able to resolve the Excel crash issue without any hassle:
Solution 1: Start Excel in Safe Mode
Firstly, try to start Excel in safe mode. When you start Excel in safe mode, it opens without encountering some specific startup programs. For opening Excel in safe mode, press and hold the Ctrl key while starting the program. You can also do so by using the /safe switch (excel.exe /safe) when you start the program from the command line.
Note: If you want to open Excel in safe mode on Windows 10, 8.1, 8, or 7 system, press Windows + R keys simultaneously, and type excel /safe in the text field. Then, press the Enter key.
Now, check whether the issue is resolved or not. If it doesn’t, proceed to the next solution.
Solution 2: Remove Faulty Add-ins
In general, add-ins are meant to enhance your experience. But sometimes, they can interfere or conflict with Excel, resulting in the Excel crash issue. In such a situation, you can try to start Excel without add-ins. Here are the steps:
- Depending on your Windows version, do any of the following:
- If you are running Windows 10, click on Windows > All apps > Windows System > Run > type Excel /safe in the Run box, and then click OK.
- In case of Windows 8, click Run in the Apps menu > type Excel /safe in the Run box, and then click OK.
- If you’re using Windows 7, click Start > type Excel /safe in Search programs and files, and then click OK.
- If following the above steps fix the issue, go to the File menu > Options > Add-ins.
- From there, select COM Add-ins and click Go.
- Make sure to clear all the checkboxes in the list and click OK.
- Lastly, restart Excel.
If your Excel doesn’t crash on restarting, try enabling the add-ins one-by-one and restart Excel. It will help you to find out which add-in is causing the problem.
Solution 3: Use Excel Repair Software
If the Excel crash issue persists even after implementing the above methods, this indicates that the Excel file is corrupt. To repair the corrupt file, you can use a reliable Excel repair software, such as Stellar Repair for Excel. The software has an interactive GUI that makes the repair and recovery process smooth. Follow the below-given steps to repair corrupt Excel file using the software:
- From the main interface of the software, select the Excel file which you wish to repair and click Repair.
- The software will start repairing the file.
- Once the process is finished, preview the file contents and save the file at the desired location.
Note: Stellar also offers File Repair Toolkit, a 4-in-1 software suite, designed especially to help Microsoft Office and PDF users. It includes a bundle of file repair utilities for repairing corrupt Office documents, i.e., Excel file, Word, and PowerPoint, and WinZip files. The toolkit features a rich and interactive GUI to facilitate repairing of corrupted files effortlessly and quickly.
Read Also : Best Alternative For SanDisk RescuePro Recovery Software
If your Excel application keeps crashing, freezing, or is not responding, follow the above-mentioned troubleshooting methods to resolve the issue. In case the reason for Excel crashing is corruption in Excel file, then you can use a reliable Excel repair software from Stellar Rata Recovery. It’s a powerful Excel repair software that can repair severely corrupt Excel files (XLS/XLSX) and recover all its data. After repairing the Excel file, you can open it in your MS Excel program and work on it without any issue.