|Summary: While playing video files, sometimes an error message pops up – “This file isn’t playable. 0xc10100bf”. In this post, we’ll be identifying the causes behind the “This file isn’t playable. 0xc10100bf” error. In addition, we’ll discuss some fixes and methods to resolve this error.
To fix the error “This File Isn’t Playable. 0xc10100bf” in video files download the efficient and powerful video repair tool to repair video files without affecting the original quality of the video.
Table of Content
Situations When “0xc10100bf” error occur in video files
Case 1: I downloaded some MP4 files from an unknown website into my thumb drive. When I tried to play them by using Windows Media Player, it throws the error code “0xc10100bf”. I’ve tried to play the same video files in other media players but to no avail. I’ve also tried copying the file onto my desktop and playing it directly from it. How can I fix this error?
Case 2: I moved a video file from my external hard drive to the Windows system. On opening it, an error message pops up saying “this file isn’t playable”. The video is important to me. How can I fix the video file and make it playable again?
There are instances when you come across similar situations while playing a video file such as MP4, MOV, MKV, etc. You may get an error message – “This file isn’t playable. 0xc10100bf”. This may happen due to several reasons such as the player doesn’t support the type of video file, problems with your system, or video file corruption. A quick fix is to try playing more video files of the same type/format. If you see the same error message popping up while playing other video files, it means that there is some problem with your device or the video player doesn’t support the video file.
To resolve such issues, try to play the video file on any other device or media player to see if it resolves the issue. Sometimes, updating the display driver or installing the Windows updates can help in fixing the error. However, if you’re still unable to play the files and facing the error, then it is possible that your video file(s) is corrupt.
Check Here For: How to fix grainy video?
Factor Responsible for 0xc10100bf error in Video file
There are various reasons which may lead to the corruption of video files and trigger “This file isn’t playable. 0xc10100bf” error. Let’s discuss some common reasons:
- Video File Corruption while Recording: Sometimes due to technical problems your video may get corrupted while recording or capturing it. You may be able to save the file you recorded but couldn’t play it by using any media player and might get 0xc10100bf error.
- Video File Downloaded from Unreliable Source: A video file downloaded from an unreliable source may be corrupt or damaged. You may face issues while playing such videos.
- Video File Gets Corrupted While Transferring: Transferring the video file from one device to another may damage the file. For instance, unsafe removal of drive during file transfer may cause file corruption.
- Malware Infection: A file downloaded from an unreliable source or a file stored on an infected system may be corrupted.
How do I fix error code 0xc10100bf due to Video File corruption?
If your video file is corrupted, you can use VLC media player to fix the corrupted video file. To do so, change the file extension to .avi (if not already) and then navigate as follows:
- Launch VLC player >> Tools >> Preferences >> Inputs/Codecs settings
- From Inputs/Codecs settings window, choose “Always Fix” Damaged or incomplete AVI file.
If you’re unable to repair the video file by using a VLC media player, the only way to repair files is by using a trusted video file repair software such as Stellar Repair for Video. This can help you fix the error – “This file isn’t playable. 0xc10100bf”.
Just like 0xc10100bf error sometimes users also face 0xc00d36e5 error in video files but however Stellar Repair for Video is an advanced video repair tool which can also fix 0xc00d36e5 error in video files.
Steps to Fix ‘This file isn’t playable. 0xc10100bf’ error using Stellar Repair for Video
Firstly you need to download, install and run the software on your Windows or mac system. This stand alone software works in three easy steps – Add Video files, Repair and Save Repaired Video Files.
Step 1: Add Corrupt Video Files
From the main interface, click Add File button to select the corrupted video file. You can add multiple video files for repairing.
Fig 1: Main Interface of Stellar Repair for Video
Step 2: Select Repair
Click Repair at the bottom-right corner. Once the repair process completes, it would prompt you to save the repaired video.
- The software allows you to preview the repaired files. You can see a preview of the repaired video by clicking Preview under Action
- If the repairing status is Awaiting Action, the video file is severely corrupted. In such a case, run advance repair by clicking Advance Repair under Action
Fig 2: Corrupt Video Files being Repaired
Step 3: Preview and Save Repaired Files
Save the repaired video at the desired location by clicking Save Repaired Files. Now you can play the repaired video.
Note: Preview of repaired videos can be done using free demo version of the software, however to save those repaired video you need to have activation key of stellar repair for video.
Fig 3: Preview and save Repaired video files.
[BONUS]: Cautions to Prevent Video File Corruption
- Use an antivirus program on your system
- Always safely remove a drive after transferring the video files
- Close the video (if running) before turning OFF the device/system
- Update your media player to prevent video error.
You can also check Methods to repair Corrupt MKV Video Files.
The error “This file isn’t playable. 0xc10100bf”, while playing a video file, pops up because of video file corruption or any device/media player related issues. If the error occurred due to video corruption, you’d need to use a video file repair software such as Stellar Repair for Video.
The software can repair video files of all popular formats such as MOV, MP4, AVI, MKV, etc. The video repair software supports Windows 10, 8, and lower versions. This is a DIY yet powerful tool that can repair even severely corrupted videos.