|Summary: There are several reasons that may cause the 0 byte file issue. This blog outlines some effective methods to fix and restore the 0 byte files on Windows. It also mentions a professional photo repair software that can help you fix the 0 byte photo files.
A 0 byte file means that there is no data being stored in that file. Simply put, the file has no content that can be read or written. If a file, such as Word, Excel, photo, or any other becomes 0 byte, you won’t be able to access or open it. It indicates that there is something wrong with the file system or storage device. The other reasons include malware infection, sudden interruption during a file download, etc. In this post, we outline some effective solutions to restore 0 byte files on the Windows system.
इस पोस्ट को हिंदी में पढ़ने के लिए यहां क्लिक करें
Why Does a File Become 0 Byte?
Below we have listed some common reasons for 0 byte file issue:
- Incomplete file transfer, download, or upload
- Virus or malware infection
- Incorrect file compression
- Improper file attachments in email
- File corruption
- Hard drive or removable drive corruption
Methods to Fix 0 Byte File Issue
Proceed with the below-listed methods to restore the 0 byte files:
Method 1: Download or Transfer the File Again
Incomplete transfer or download can result in 0 byte files. Thus, you can try to transfer or download the files from the same source again.
Method 2: Delete the SYSWIN file
Syswin.exe is an executable file that often cause problems. Syswin.exe can infect your files and turn them into 0 byte. You can delete Syswin.exe to fix the issue. Here’re the steps:
- Open Task Manager, navigate to the Processes tab and scroll down to find the Syswin file.
- When found, right-click on Syswin and select Disable option.
- Right-click on the Syswin file once again and select Open file location.
- Search for any file named Syswin in the file location window. Right-click on it and select the Delete option.
Method 3: Change the File Extension
Changing the file name and extension can also help you restore the 0 byte file. To change the file extension, proceed with the below-given steps:
- Right-click on the drive or partition where the 0 KB file is saved and select the Properties option.
- Navigate to the Tools tab and click on Check now, followed by OK.
- Click on Scan drive. When the scanning is complete, close all the windows.
- Further, open the storage drive, type FOUND.000 in the address field, and press the Enter key.
- Save the found files at your desired location and then change the file name and extension.
- Lastly, open the file and check if the error persists.
[Suggested Reading] How to repair corrupt JPEG file Header?
Method 4: Run CHKDSK Command using Command Prompt
You can run CHKDSK command using the Command Prompt to fix drive issues, which might be causing the 0 byte file problem. Follow these steps:
- Simultaneously press Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box. Type cmd in the text field and press the Enter key.
- It opens the command prompt window. In this, type chkdsk G: /f. Then, press the Enter key. Here, G is the drive letter.
- Restart your PC once the process completes and try accessing the 0 byte file.
Method 5: Recover 0 Byte Photos using Photo Repair Software
If your image files are showing 0 byte and you fail to access them, it means the files are corrupt. You can use photo repair software, such as Stellar Repair for Photo to repair and restore such files. The software can fix JPEG, TIFF, HEIC, DNG, and RAW image files of Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, and other cameras.
Download and install the Stellar Repair for Photo software and then, proceed with the below-given steps to fix the corrupt photos:
Step 1: Click Add File
- Click on Add File to upload the files that you want to repair.
Step 2: Select Repair
- After that, click on repair.
Step 3: Select Save Repaired Files
- Once repaired, preview the repaired files and save them at the desired location.
Note: Always make sure to save the repaired files to a different location.
Also Read: How to Repair Corrupt RAW Photo File?
The methods mentioned in this blog would have surely helped you restore the 0-byte images. If the photos turn corrupt, it might be because of a virus infection. In that case, you need professional photo repair software to restore the 0-byte files. Stellar Repair for Photo is one such software that easily repairs corrupt file header, damaged image data, etc.