|Summary: Have you deleted files from your hard drive and want to recover them for free? In this post, we’ve mentioned some simple ways to recover deleted files from a hard disk for free. Also, we’ve mentioned a trusted free tool that you can use to recover lost and deleted files from the hard drive.
Hard drives – internal or external – are used to store data such as documents, photos, videos, etc. At times, you lose data from the hard disk due to various reasons such as drive corruption, malware intrusion, bad sectors on the drive, formatting, or accidental deletion of files.
If you’ve lost documents, pictures, audio, videos, or any file due to deletion from your hard drive, there is no need to worry. To recover data for free, just download the software from the below-given box to recover files from the hard disk for free. However, by using free data recovery software you can recover data upto free data upto 1 GB. In this post, we’ve mentioned three easy and effective methods to recover and restore your deleted files from a hard disk.
Methods to Recover Deleted Files from Hard Disk for Free
[Method 1]: Restore Deleted Files from Windows Recycle Bin
When you delete files on a Windows system, they’re temporarily stored in the Recycle Bin folder. To restore deleted files from Recycle Bin, follow the below given steps:
- Open Recycle Bin folder on your Windows system
- Find/Search for the deleted files
- If you’re able to find the deleted files, select them
- Right-click the selection, and click Restore. The deleted files will be restored to their original location on your system.
Limitations of Windows Recycle Bin
There are certain conditions in which you won’t be able to restore data from Recycle Bin:
- If you’ve deleted files by using Shift+Del keys, you won’t be able to restore them from Recycle Bin.
- If you’ve emptied the Recycle Bin, then you won’t be able to undo the process and fail to restore the deleted files.
- Files deleted from “external” hard drives are not retained in Recycle Bin.
- You may not find the deleted files in Recycle Bin after 30 days as the default retention period of deleted files in Recycle Bin is 30 days.
[Method 2]: Use Windows “Previous Versions” to Restore Deleted Files
These are the steps to restore deleted files from Previous Versions:
- Right-click the folder which contained the deleted files, and click Restore previous versions
- All the previous versions of the folder will get listed according to the date it was modified.
- Open folder versions to find out which version contains the deleted files
- If you’re able to find the deleted files in any of the folder versions, copy the files and paste them at a desired location
Limitations of “Previous Versions” Feature
However, being efficient and free this method is prone to some limitations. This method works only when the following settings had already been configured on your Windows system, before the deletion:
- System Protection is turned ON, and System Restore Point is created or File History is enabled
- Volume Shadow Copy service is “Started”
[Method 3]: Use a Free File Recovery Tool to Recover Deleted Files
You can use a trusted free data recovery tool such as Stellar Data Recovery to recover deleted files from both internal and external hard drives.
Key Benefits of Using Stellar Data Recovery Software:
- Allows you to recover and save up to 1 GB of deleted files for free
- Safe and effective free file recovery tool
- Recovers files lost due to deletion, formatting, HDD corruption, etc.
Steps to Recover Deleted Files by using the Software
- Connect the hard drive (if external) to Windows system
- Download the free software on your system, install, and launch it
- From the main interface, select All Data and click Next
- Select the volume and click Scan to start the scanning process
- When the scan finishes, a list appears of all the recoverable files. Choose the files you want to recover and click Recover
- Browse a desired location where you want to save the files, and click Start Saving
Now, This would efficiently save the deleted documents, videos, photos, audio files, etc. at the desired destination.
You can recover deleted files from hard disk for free by using the manual methods given in this post. However, the manual methods of recovery have some limitations.
Thus, it’s best to use a safe and effective tool such as Stellar Data Recovery to recover deleted files for free. This DIY tool is one of the most trusted file recovery tools. Moreover, it helps you save time and effort as it can recover your deleted data from hard disk in a few simple steps.