How to recover photos from SD cards?
Or another variant of the same query is – “How do I repair SD card having Bad sectors“
We receive customer queries asking to recover data from SD cards…
|“I have a 32 GB SD card, which I purchased online and was using this card for my camera for 14 months. I am a wedding photographer, and I have been using this card for so long. The thought of backing up the data never occurred to me. Two days back it stopped working and started showing an error. Some of the photos on it are fine, and I can view some parts of pictures, but that is all. I need to retrieve these pictures immediately for editing. What can I do? How can I restore data from bad sectors on the SD card.”
A situation like this usually causes an environment of panic. And in this type of situation, we start doing our own R & D to retrieve data from the SD card.
” Special Offer” on Stellar Photo Recovery Software Activation Key
Stellar Photo Recovery – is a globally acclaimed #1 Photo Recovery software. We understand that you are looking for the activation key of the software.
If your drive/storage device is working fine, the software will be able to recover your data. As a special offer, Get 20% OFF on the purchase of a Stellar Photo Recovery Software.
Use your special code BLOG20 to avail a 20% OFF on the software license.
*Offer Valid Till 30th November 2019
When your SD card displays bad sectors error, it means that the data on your SD card is inaccessible. This is because sectors on your SD card are damaged and can’t be further used to store any more data. The good news is – you can still retrieve data from SD cards having bad sectors by using photo recovery software.
Note: It is recommended to avoid meddling with your SD card once it stops working to prevent permanent loss of data.
Causes of SD Card Bad Sectors
An SD card with bad sectors is often a result of:
- Low quality or cheap SD card
- Inappropriate handling and care of SD cards such as keeping it in the dust, dropping it in water, etc.
- Removal of SD card from smartphone or camera without switching off the device
- Removal of SD card from computer abruptly or without ejecting
- Disconnection of SD card from the computer, while read/write operations, are being performed
- Using the same SD card in different devices
- Excessive use or aging can also lead to SD card bad sectors
- The SD card already had bad sectors when you bought it, and it increased over time
SD card bad sectors are the most common reason for inaccessible data on your SD card. However, it may not be the case always. Your SD card contains bad sectors if it shows the following signs:
- Your device- camera or smartphone- doesn’t recognize the SD card.
- You can view the card data once you insert it in the computer. But files are inaccessible, or the card won’t allow read/write operation.
- As soon as you insert the card into your computer, it asks you to format the SD card.
- When you try formatting the card, the process doesn’t complete or stops.
- Avoid using one card for multiple devices
- Don’t remove the card abruptly from a camera, smartphone, and computer
- Try and back up your files and pictures from time to time on another device
- Keep your card in a clean, dust-free, and dry place
- Avoid buying a low-cost card because these have low quality
- When you encounter “Bad sector error,” don’t try to write any data on your SD card
Signs of SD Card Bad Sectors
Whenever you encounter bad sectors error on your SD card, stop trying to recover data from hit and trial methods. Instead, download Stellar photo recovery software for a quick fix. This software is user-friendly, and you don’t need any technical knowledge for bad sector recovery using this software. Check out the steps below.
- Click here to download the photo recovery software
- Hit Install and wait for the installation to complete (It might take a few minutes)
- After the installation, stellar photo recovery software will automatically launch
- Insert the SD card with the bad sector for data recovery with the help of an SD card reader and select that drive in the software.
- Click Scan now and wait for a few minutes
- Your pictures will be displayed, select the ones you want to recover, and hit Recover.
The most comfortable option to restore data from bad sectors on the SD card is to use Stellar Photo Recovery Software. If in case, due to any reason, you are not able to retrieve data through this software, there can be additional physical damage in the SD card. Prefer utilizing Stellar Data Recovery Services in such a scenario to avoid permanent loss of data.