|Summary: The basic premise of claiming a replacement of your hard drive is explained by professionals. Can you get your hard drive replaced after data recovery from it? How do you do it? We explain the complete steps, so that your replacement request will be approved by the manufacturer.|
Table of Content:
How to Claim a replacement of your hard drive during data recovery?
Losing data due to a faulty hard drive is infuriating. If your hard drive is still under warranty, you can claim a replacement for it.
However, before that, you’d want your data recovered.
- Do you need permission from the hard drive manufacturer before a data recovery service can open it up?
- How can you be sure that your data recovery service provider won’t void the limited warranty statement of the hard drive by doing faulty repairs?
- What is the data recovery certificate? Why do hard drive manufacturers need it?
- How to manage hard drive data recovery and replacement properly?
How to check the warranty of your hard drive - Dell Warranty Check?
You can check the warranty status of your hard drive online. All leading hard drive manufacturers have an online facility to check if your hard drive is in the warranty period or not.
We’ve compiled the warranty guidelines of the four major hard drive brands. Click on a logo to check the warranty status renewing of your hard drive from that manufacturer.
|Seagate® Hard Drive warranty Check|
|WD® Hard Drive warranty Check|
|IBM® Hard Drive Warranty Check|
DELL ® Hard Drive warranty Check
You need to enter following information about your hard drive to verify if your hard drive is in warranty period or not:
Serial Number and Model Number - For Seagate warranty check
Serial Number - For WD warranty check
Machine Type and Serial Number - For IBM warranty check
Dell Service Tag Number - For DELL warranty check or for Dell warranty status from Dell EMC.
For how long is a hard drive warranty valid?
Most hard drive manufacturers offer a warranty services period of 2 to 5 years.
For consumer drives (PC, Laptop, Desktop, External Hard Drives) most of the brands provide 2 years warranty support.
For corporate drives like server drives and NAS drives, most manufacturers offer a 3 to 5 years warranty period.
Whenever you buy a hard drive or any products purchased in future, ask the vendor: ‘How long is a hard drive warranty for?’
What is covered under a hard drive warranty?
Most of the hard drive manufacturers don't do data recovery. For data recovery, you need to consult a different service.
If your hard drive is in the warranty period, you can get a replacement. Before you get a replacement, you need to first get your data recovered.
How to Claim Hard Drive replacement in warranty period?
Still wondering ‘how does a hard drive warranty work?’ Here are 6 steps that explain the process in detail.
1. Contact the Manufacturer
- You need to email the hard drive manufacturer and take approval for data recovery.
- Log a case with the respective HDD manufacturer, for replacement and request time for recovering data from your faulty hard drive.
By doing this, register your dell product or dell device, your case gets registered for dell support or HDD replacement in Asia Pacific or in any part of the World. You will also get time for data recovery. Many times HDD manufacturers
inform customers about their standard conditions for performing data recovery on faulty hard drives from any professional service provider.
Click to check sample approval letter from manufacturer.
2. Submit Hard Drive for data recovery
- Once you receive data recovery approval letter from HDD manufacturer, you need to submit your hard drive to professional data recovery service provider.
- Submit your drive for analysis in any of our data recovery center in India.
3. Get an update from the data recovery service provider
Once your drive is submitted in the data recovery center, our experts will inform you about the possibility of data recovery from your hard drive. Also, if we need to open the drive or if data can be recovered without opening the drive.
In case we need to open your hard drive, it may void the warranty of the hard drive. We take permission from the customer, if we can open the drive. Also information about voiding the warranty is shared with customers.
4. Wait for the data recovery to be complete
After taking your consent via email we proceed for data recovery; we open the hard drive in our class 100 clean room lab, and perform data recovery operations. After successful data recovery and data verification, we hand over the recovered data and faulty hard drive to customer.
5. Get your data recovery certificate
We also share a certificate with the customer, informing that all data recovery operations have been done in a controlled environment, and there has been no further damage to the drive.
Click to check sample certificate here.
6. Submitting Hard Drive and Data Recovery Certificate with Manufacturer
Finally customer need to submit their faulty drive and data recovery certificate to claim replacement of hard drive from manufacturer.
Hard drive replacement checkpoints - What is accepted/ what is not after a Hard disk warranty check
Every hard drive manufacturer have their own parameters for replacing a hard drive in warranty period. You need to ensure that when you are sending your hard drive for replacement it should be properly packed and shipped. Read hard drive shipping instructions here.
Read following pointers to know what is accepted or is not accepted by hard drive manufacturer for hard drive replacement:
- Light and superficial scratches on hard drives
- Slightly opened hard drives
- PCBA Connector Pins -
- Cracked or broken portion on the corner of SATA connector.
- Cracked or broken portion of SATA connector.
- PCBA- Broken component
- Baseplate -
- Scratches (light scratches from normal mounting)
- Non-permanent markings - Marking can be removed with ESD safe gum eraser.
- Hard drive where packaging and shipping is not proper
- Remorse or unopened packaging
- Burnt hard drive
- Burnt proximity to power connector (1 ") / Missing PCBA Components
- Severely Burnt PCBA
- PCBA with Broken Connector
- Screw Thread Worn Out
- Missing Cover Screws
- Warranty Seal moved, erased, altered, defaced, tampered, or otherwise rendered unintelligible
- Recertified Laser Mark with Prime label
How can Stellar Data Recovery can help?
- At Stellar, you can benefit from a four-step process for data recovery: free phone consultation, media analysis, data recovery, and final delivery. We assure world-class quality, best-in-class data recovery, and a delightful experience, with 100% confidentiality of your data.
- We have the highest success rate in the country for recovering data from all types of data loss problems.
- Unlike most other vendors, we are careful and precise in the data recovery process. We use state-of-the-art, class 100
clean room facilities for hard drive transplants during data recovery. This ensures that your hard drive warranty is not voided after the recovery process. Contact our Toll-Free number 1800-102-3232 to know more.
The data recovery process can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks depending on the type of data and the extent of the damage to the hard drive.
There is no fixed cost. The final cost of data recovery depends on the complexity of your case and the type and amount of media that needs to be recovered. You can register for a free phone consultation and media analysis with us to assess The extent of data loss and the cost of recovery.
You have to consult with us to understand the complexity of your data recovery process as each case is unique. But for now, you can consult the table below to understand what usually makes the cases complex.
|Type of damage||Physical damage to the drive, such as a failed head or platter, or logical damage, such as overwritten data||High|
|File system||Complex file systems, such as RAID or encrypted drives, will require more advanced techniques to recover data||High|
|Amount of data||Large amounts of data will require more time and resources to recover||High|
The entire process can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. The time will depend on the manufacturer and the specific circumstances of the warranty claim. Once you have contacted the manufacturer and initiated a warranty claim and completed all the other formanilites, the manufacturer will then determine if the hard drive is covered under warranty. If it is covered, you will either get a replacement hard drive or instructions on how to send the faulty drive back for replacement.
While we cannot guarantee that all data can be recovered, we have an 80% success rate in recovering data from all types of data loss situations. Our team of experts use state-of-the-art technology and techniques to recover data, and we will always do our best to recover as much data as possible.