SD cards are one of the most commonly used storage devices around the world. You can find these extraordinarily compact yet massive-capacity flash memory devices in smartphones, portable media players, digital cameras, voice recorders, etc.
Just like other famous storage devices such as hard drives and thumb drives, SD cards are highly reliable. However, they aren’t 100% safe. And so, it’s possible for you to face an “SD Card Not Initialized” Error or an “Undetected SD Card” error, etc. which disallows you to access your important photos and other digital files on the SD card.
Stellar Remote Recovery Services
In continuation of our commitment to data care services and to ensure that data loss situations don’t affect you or your business, we have launched a cutting-edge Remote Data Recovery Service.
This service allows you to recover data over the Internet without getting your device physically touched by the experts, thus offering safe and contactless recovery. Our contactless remote data recovery service is available across Windows, Mac, and Linux systems.
Book Remote Session
What’s the reason behind SD Card Not Initialized Error?
SD card can become undetectable for many reasons. Some of these are:
- Dirty Pins: Digital camera or smartphone read the SD card with the help of SD card’s pins (which you can typically notice as thin copper stripes). However, if dirt has accumulated on these pins, then it may make it difficult for your device to load the memory card.
- Data Corruption: Your SD card files can be corrupted or damaged because of both physical and logical errors. The latter includes malware attacks, unintentional formatting, operating system corruption, etc.
- Incompatible Hardware: If the mobile phone or digital camera doesn’t support the memory card that you are using, you may receive an “SD Card not initialized Error” etc.
Solutions to Fix “SD Card Not Initialized” Error
If your SD card has become “unreadable”, there is no need to panic, data recovery from SD card is possible in most cases. That said, before taking any drastic measures or jumping to conclusions, you can try the following essential solutions first:
- Switch off the device, remove the SD card, and reinsert. Turn on the device and see if it worked. If it didn’t, then proceed to the next step.
- Get soft and clean cotton to clean the memory card pins (i.e. the electrical contacts). Once done, repeat the step above.
In most cases, the methods shared above should be able to get your SD card up and running again and fix SD Card not initialized Error once and for all. However, if the problem persists, then you have two options:
- Software solution
- Service Solution
|If you are reading this blog then you can avail 20% off on Photo Recovery Software.
|Now Get 20% Off On Photo Recovery Software*. Use BLOG20* at the time of Checkout.
- Offer available for 1 & 2 year version of photo recovery software
- Exclusive offer for our blog readers
Both options are equally competent and capable of achieving 100% data recovery. The only difference is in their working. In the first, you can recover the data on your own with the help of the data recovery software. However, in the second option, you can hand over the SD card to a recovery service provider who can do the needful for you. It’s also a recommended option when the problem is related to physical damage.
Additional Reading: How to Fix Damaged SD Card Error
Let’s discuss both options one by one.
Software Solution: Many software programs let you fix “SD Card not initialized Error” which you can find on the Internet. However, here we shall take Stellar Photo Recovery software which is one of the most reliable programs available as an example.
Once you have installed the software on your computer system, follow simple steps to recover data:
- Connect the SD card to your computer with a USB-based media device or an SD card reader and launch the software from your desktop/system.
- Click “Recover Photo, Audio & Video”. The software can recover audio, images, and video data recovery from any SD Card.
- Select the location/media device on your computer system that you want to recover your data from. In this case, you need to select the SD card.
- Click the “Scan Now” button if you want instant results with no recovery customization. Otherwise, you can click “advanced settings” located on the bottom right of the screen.
- In the second option, you can either select “supported file format” if you want to recover files with select formats (in the photo, audio, or video), or “select region” if you want to scan only specific locations on your SD card.
- The software will scan the SD card as per your directions and list the recovered files on the left side of the interface for you to see.
- Select the files you want to recover and click “Recover” button located on the bottom right of the screen.
- Select the location where you want to store the recovered files on your system. Above shown screenshot depicts the recovered files that are being saved to the desired location.
- That’s it! You recover your photos, videos, and audio files.
Click Here Know about more errors in SD Card !!
A professional data recovery company such as Stellar has a state of the art data recovery lab and skilled recovery engineers that use advanced practices and specialized software for successful data recovery from SD Card.
In a service solution, the Data recovery experts take your SD card to assess the damage in detail. They check if any damage to the circuitry or if there is some logical error. If it’s the former, they identify the repairable sectors/regions and then provide a list of recoverable files to you for approval. If the problem is latter, then it’s usually possible to recover 100% of the data, and they shall perform the standard SD card data recovery procedure.
The “SD Card not initialized” is a reasonably standard error, and in most cases, you can recover the data rather quickly. However, if you don’t want to take any chances, and if the data is particularly important to you, then it’s best to use specialized software such as the one discussed above or a comprehensive and professional data recovery service.
The solutions mentioned above are a viable to fix the “SD card not initialized” error.